2 week post op rant | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 week post op rant 2 week post op rant

Unread 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
2 week post op rant

Hi Ladies. Although I am new to posting I have been lurking around here since my surgery. What an amazing site!

I am two weeks post-op from a LAH (kept ovaries) with A & P repairs & labiaplasty.

I am in the thick of recovery and just downright crabby (which I hate to admit because I am usually a very happy very content gal). Here's the heart of the matter (as terrible as this may sound) I really really in my mind had thought that since I was in good shape (I am a yoga and pilates teacher) and have always taken care of my health (good diet, no smoking, etc.) that I would breeze through this. Was I dellusional???????? How did I not anticpate the reality of the surgery and what the recovery process would entail?!

I am in pain, still bleeding a ton, swollen everywhere and tired all the time. I feel like I want to rewind the last few weeks and choose a different path (although for most of what I had done there wasn't a choice). I love to move and love being physical....I cannot stand sitting on the sidelines. I cannot even imagine teaching my classes right now - and I worry I might never be able to again.

Basically I am just plain sad and thought perhaps someone out there might have some words of wisom to help me get out of this funk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Re: 2 week post op rant

Sorry you are feeling so frustrated. Your body needs time to heal and uses a lot of energy doing so. It will tell you this when you do too much. This is a time to nurture yyourself and allow you mind and body to rest.

Listen to a relaxation tape (Belruth Naperstack is great), meditate, drink a warm cup of tea and read a good book.

Communicate with your doctor about your bleeding and how you generally feel. They might allay your fears or recommend you come in for a checkup.

i am almost 3 weeks post TAH with 2 days in the hospital only to go back 3 days later for a 5-day stay to treat a pelvic infection. I cannot imagine going back to work in September, but I know that every day I will feel stronger and accept that I cant 'future-think' right now because my perspective is skewed based on how I feel NOW.

Hang in there. Talk to your doctor. Nurture yourself.
be well.

S
Unread 07-27-2009, 01:04 PM

I thought I'd be having a lot more trouble with the "resting" part of this than I am. I'm also one to be up and about constantly. If I miss my workout, I'm very crabby. I actually enjoy cleaning, cooking, etc. But...I am enjoying being a slug right now. I'm not having to fight with my inner voice that says I must be doing something or I'm just wasting time. It's still there but I tell it to hush up . This is truly the only time in my life that I've ever been laid up and I'm going to enjoy every single min. of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2009, 01:09 PM

Hi, I sorry you feel so frustated with your recovery. I too love to exercize and really miss being at the gym and I especially miss swimming. The pain will start to subside then go away.

However, it does concern me that you are "bleeding a ton". Have you told your doctor this? I think you should call, they may want to see you.
Unread 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Like you I am a Pilates instructor and personal trainer, and I am going absolutely NUTS! My mind wants to run a marathon, but my body will have none of that. I am 4 week post op tomorrow (TAH). Just hang in there! It is hard, my muscles have are turning into mush, but they will come back quickly!

Tons of hugs!! (Do some butt squeezes, they will help! Just be careful)
Unread 07-27-2009, 02:11 PM

Like you, I am also two weeks post op. Probably in not as good shape as you were pre-op but I did exercise 3 - 4 times a weeks and had no other health issues other than what I needed my hyst for.

I'm exhausted - a lot! My pain level today is finally manageable without having to take pills every 4 to 6 hours. But at this point, if I didn't still have family helping, I wouldn't be able to complete much at all. I still haven't driven since my surgery. I have made it to the grocery store twice with someone and immediately went to bed after each trip. I had a small idea of how I would be responding to this though as I had abd surgery for fibroid removal approximately 10 years ago and it took me 6 weeks to get back to work.

Everyone's body reacts differently. You may see some responses that they feel great and are bouncing back around in hours (ok, maybe an exaggeration) and some who still have problems a year out. Please listen to your body and give it a chance to heal properly now.

Even as I say that, I am excited to at least be doing some things (making dinner, going for a walk, etc) and look forward to when I can do all my regular activities - without the risk of bleeding or the discomfort and pain I had before.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register