Stool softner - colace & other post op questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stool softner - colace & other post op questions Stool softner - colace & other post op questions

Unread 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Stool softner - colace & other post op questions

Hi everyone I am 8 days Post Op and I just have a few questions. Had a LAVH/BSO/Bladder Sling on 2/7/12 and I was wanting to know how long I should be taking stool softner- Colace? Also does it suppose to hurt in your stomach and sides when you know you are about to have a BM or need to have one? Has anyone had trouble with their back's hurting? Sometimes it is lower,sometimes middle all the way across and sometimes it is just like a cramping hurt in right or left side under shoulder blades almost in the middle. Like while tring to sit up in a chair or in bed. Went to 1 week Post Op yesterday and doctor took off the sterile strips and said all looked ok and that the stitches up inside may be dissolving at 2-3 weeks and may bring on spotting and or discharge but I have been spotting really light since surgery and I told him but he did not seemed alarmed. How long does the spotting last? 6 Weeks? How about swelly belly? What are some things you can do for the swelling? Thanks and Hope everyone had a Happy Valentines day and Healing well.... Hugs!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Re: Stool softner - colace & other post op questions

HI Pinkheart, yes, colace should help a lot. My dr. told me to just keep taking it but also drink a lot of water. Prune juice and flax seeds help a lot also.

Re the pain: definitely. In the first two weeks, every time I had the big urge to go, I had a lot of pain my stomach and also hips and back. I think that's expected.
Unread 02-15-2012, 03:09 PM

Colace for 30 days at least, according to my doc. I still take once a day at 6 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2012, 04:56 PM

my dr said for up to 3 months then to taper off as he said right now youdo not want to be straining then to taper off after that

as for pain it vaires but ya i also had the pain mine was mostly in the front but the intestines take up a huge area in the body going from one side to the other and front and back, large intestines are 5 feet and the smaller intestines are 20 feet so it will move and hurt all over lol

if the pain is extreme or you are concerned definitely call your dr.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register