Incision still open | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision still open Incision still open

Unread 05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Incision still open

I'm 5 weeks post op and had my weekly visit with my doctor yesterday due to the disruption of my incision from my total abdominal hysterectomy. Not happy with my doctors dission yesterday she told me I could return to work anytime I wanted. The only issue I have with that is my incision is still open not much but still open I told her I didn't want to return to work until it has closed completely. I have had complications from this surgery from day one, and I dont want to return to work and have my incision open up further which my visiting nurses has said can happen. So she said I can return on May 14th to work with no weight restrictions and in my job I'm lifting anything from 10 to 50 lbs on any given day. So when my visiting nurse came this am to change my packing she was concerned with that decision from the doctor, her concern being that once the incision is closed that area is still prone to disruption as it hasn't been closed for a long period of time. When I left my doctors I was thinking the same thing and not feeling at all comfortable going back to work with no weight restricitons. I have one more visit with my doctor next week and I'm going to address this with her I have made slow progress to get this far from a 5cm depth opening to less than 1cm now. I certainly dont want to take two steps forward just to have to take three steps back again. Any advice or input from my sisters would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and hugs to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Re: Incision still open

Hi

Make sure your Dr. knows that you need to be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Make sure she understands that you are not comfortable going back to work yet, and why.

You can also see another Dr if you are concerned that this one is not understanding your situation. Do you have a family Dr who you could see who could help you with this?

I had an open incission after one of my surgeries, and even though I found it very disconcerting and inconvenient, it did slowly heal well. I'm hoping that the rest of your recovery goes smoothly.

Keep us posted.

Kay
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Re: Incision still open

Thank you for your support in your reply. I thought by now my Doctor would understand my fears and concerns, my surgery and recovery has not been a normal one I've had complications from the time I came out of recovery to when I came home. My incision opened once while in hospital and then again when I came home, I have visiting nurses who come once a day to change my packing granted it has gone from 5cm deep to less than 1 cm deep. I did find comfort in talking to the visiting nurses with my concerns with them regarding my situation. Their proffessional opinon was that seeing how my recovery has not been "normal" and where the incision is closing it is still considered a fresh scar with great possibilites of it opening up again if I lift anything heavy at all. This part of my incision has not had time to heal tightly like the rest of my incision has and it's prone to reopening until it's had adequate time to heal as the rest of the incision. They said the would and are here to not only change my packing but advocate for me with my doctor and the concerns about returning to work possibily earlier then I should and not having any weight restrictions when I do return to work. If this had bee a normal non complicated surgery and recovery time I certainly wouldn't be second guessing my doctors opinion. I see her again next Tuesday and that is suppose to be my last time seeing her at that time I will be 6 weeks post op. When I see her I plan on letting her know my concerns and reminding her the issues I've had since the day of surgery up until now. Its just dishearting when you put your trust of your body into a proffessional and they don't use their good judgement in regards to their patients. Again I'm so glad I found this site before my surgery the support from all of you are so appreciated. Hugs to you all

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register