post op weight question? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op weight question? post op weight question?

Unread 05-03-2012, 01:11 AM
post op weight question?

Well had my partial hysterectomy 5/1. Everything went great and i was able to keep both ovaries!(yay!!) Anyways heres my question I'm not real hungry but know i need nutrition and would like to lose weight even though i cant be active yet? Any suggestions on how to drop weight postop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2012, 02:38 AM
Re: post op weight question?

Watch caloric intake until you ate able to work out again, God bless and prayers for a speedy recovery!
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:23 AM

Thank you!! I feel pretty good so far a little pain but alot less than the pain i was having before survery! I was thinking of counting calodies and making sure the calodiss i fake in are good for me and will help promofe healing ie..yummy fruits and vegtables!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2012, 05:58 AM

I had my surgery on 4/27 and still have not gotten a good appetite back. I still eat because I have too and make sure it is good food... Fruits, veggies and protein. Last night I did splurge on a little bit of mango sherbet!
Just make sue you are feeding your body what it needs at this time to heal properly. That takes a lot of energy.
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:06 AM

as soon as your able when your feeling about and have a bit of energy, start walking very slowly around your house for few minutes as your body lets you know how much to walk, which isnt for very long at first, but as the days go by you will get stronger,,so walk at intervals throughout the day starting off for few min slowly and as the days go by walking a few min longer each time as your able to pick up the pace...but be careful and listen to your body okay, when u feel tired or any pains its time to rest....drink lots and lots of water to flush things through,,,eat lots of fruits and veggies, and plain greek yogurt helps tummy alot if your able to do yogurt...these are just a few things, i hope this helps you...oh ya and yes important to get some sunshine, this helps lift your mood and give you peace and relaxation which is soooo very important....God Bless,,,Peace be with you
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:46 AM

That is a very good question and a valid concern. I hope you don't mind but I am going to get up on my for just a minute....

You are only 2 days post op...you really shouldn't be worrying about losing weight right now. Chances are, you will not have an appetite for quite awhile, so you will already be taking in less calories than normal. You need to make sure you are getting plenty of nutrients. Your body is healing from major surgery and it needs fuel to do that! Like the other ladies have said, make sure you are eating healthy things like fruits and veggies.

I honestly wouldn't "count calories" at this point. Like I said, your body needs fuel right now, so please give it what it needs.

Walking is very important as well for many reasons. You should walk as much as you can since it helps prevent blood clots and keeps you from getting stiff and sore. But, take it easy and don't over do it. Start of slowly and only walking very short distances and gradually build up as you continue to recover.

Okay...I will step down now...I just want you to understand that the most important thing for you to do right now is heal!! So please, take care of yourself and always, always, always,

Sending you and hoping your recovery goes smoothly!!!
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:19 AM

Just make good food choices.. everyone is on the same page, lots and lots of water, fruits and veggies lots of protein, I eat a lot of greek yogurt but have added Activia to my diet to hopefully help get "things moving along" a little easier. I too had surgery 5-1 and am doing great. Very minimal pain, taking Motrin every 6 hours just for good measure, don't want to start hurting. My doctor told me that I could go back to walking my 3 miles a day whenever I feel i have the energy. I've walked the driveway and around the house outside.. gonna hold off until next week before I "really" start walking, gonna start with a mile and see how I feel afterward.. I'm tired and my body has been through a lot... it's time to rest now... Happy healing to everyone!!!
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:56 AM

I am almost 5 wks post op DvH and i have lost 10 lbs. I had no appetite at all the first week, but made sure that, when I did et, I made healthy choices - yogurt, soup, salads, lean protein I was also walking around quite a bit by the end of week 2.

As several have mentioned, with the decrease in appetite, you'll be taking in
less calories. However, when I weighed myself at the end of week 1, I weighed 5 lbs more than I did pre op. That weight and more disappeared by week 3. I figured theinitial post op weight gain was extra from the surgery (I.V. fluids, etc.).

So, bottom line, you should worry about recovering first, but make good food choices. Because I had no appetite, I kept (and still keep) a food log to force myself to eat small protein-rich meals every 3 hrs. It also reminded me to eat yogurt and not ice cream!
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM

Wow not being able to go to the bathroom is the worst part of recovery! Someone help!
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:08 PM

jonimoore oh my i so know how you feel, and i think many, many ladies here can testify to your short but very heartfelt post...yes i at the beginning of post op had such a terrible time with bm, what i did to ease things was take 2stool softners mid day, drink lots and lots of water, drink prune juice and i made lots and lots of home made high fibre muffins...eating lots of high fibre fruits and veggies helps as well when your able to gain a better appetite...at the beginning of post of for me i couldnt eat much for like over a week, i was able to eat a very small amount of plain greek yogurt with papaya mashed into it...Oh and very important to walk as much as your body will let you daily, start out very slow walking for few min at intervals throughout the day and when u get tired or get pains then rest immediately...Peace be with you

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register