Frustrated with hysterectomy recovery | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Frustrated with hysterectomy recovery Frustrated with hysterectomy recovery

Unread 08-18-2016, 10:36 AM
Frustrated with hysterectomy recovery

I am so frustrated!! Pain is better one day ( yesterday), today having pain EVERYWHERE!! Most notably my back but also in belly. Feeling fat, achy, fried and FRUSTRATED!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Re: Frustrated

Ah yes, the magical 3rd week! This is where many women say they feel worse when they feel like they should be feeling better. It's also the week where your stitches might be dissolving if you have a vaginal cuff. Recovery from this surgery takes weeks to months (for full healing) - difficult to grasp in this age of quick solutions and instant fixes.

You don't tell us much, though. What kind of surgery? What kind of aches? What level of pain? Are you still on meds, if so, which ones? What about your activity level, are you adhering to the restrictions appropriate for your point in recovery?

We tend to think of healing as the scar tissue getting stronger, but that's not the case. Healing comes in stages, with earlier scar tissue dissolving as it's replaced by newer scar tissue in a cycle that happens over and over. It's during the dissolving phase that we feel zaps and zingers.

The back ache - oh, I had that! - our abs have been weakened from surgery, and our backs are having to compensate as we sit up, stand up, walk around. Best thing to do is take rests, 30-45 minutes of reclining to take the load off, and a heating pad helps.

The swollen belly is so common it has a nickname, swelly belly, and it's own emoji . With any injury including surgery, inflammation is present, and fluids gather as part of that healing process - so for us it's in our bellies. Sometimes it's nothing more than daily living that brings it on, but as you heal, you may notice that increased activity makes it worse, and it may be more noticeable in the evenings. Here's more on Tummy Care - Swelly Belly. Basically, it goes away on it's own, so the only thing you need is patience.

You may be feeling more pain and have more swelling if you're overdoing it vs. what your restrictions are. There are still lifting and bending, pulling and pushing restrictions in the 3rd-4th weeks, and some Sisters notice that if they're even on their feet too long, say, for an afternoon of shopping, they may well reap some pain the next day.

Having said all that, if you notice any new or intense pains, or have any symptoms like bruising, hard spots, fever, or changes in discharges, report those to your doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.

Rest well - you're not alone!
Unread 08-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Re: Frustrated with hysterectomy recovery

One piece of advice that someone gave me when my back was bothering me was to watch my posture. And I discovered that I was not standing/walking straight. Once I straightened up, no more back pain. Don't know if it's contributing to your issue, but worth a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspringfield View Post
I am so frustrated!! Pain is better one day ( yesterday), today having pain EVERYWHERE!! Most notably my back but also in belly. Feeling fat, achy, fried and FRUSTRATED!!!!
Hi there,

This recovery can be rough. The 3rd week certainly can be trying... You need to provide further info so we can help..What type of surgery? Were your ovaries removed? What specific pains & symptoms are you experiencing?
Unread 08-19-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspringfield View Post
I will second that emotion! My surgery was 2 weeks ago and I don't always see a connection to the pains and what I may have done to cause them. I can't seem to figure out that fine line between doing enough to keep things moving and not get stiff muscles vs overdoing it. I try to keep myself doing the "right things" but sometimes feel good and forget and pick up something off the floor or some other simple little thing. Ugh, I agree frustrating to go from doing everything to doing very little. The sad part is I like doing my chores....or at least the outcome, lol! I just have to put that off for a bit!
Unread 08-19-2016, 06:28 AM

I remember that third week, it was very frustrating. Spotting from dissolving stitches, swelly belly, fatigue... blah. Just take it easy and know it'll pass. I tried to push through it which made it worse.
Unread 08-19-2016, 06:37 PM

I had surgery on 7/28 *TAH (ovaries and tubes untouched). I worry that week 3 was a moment of self fulfilling prophecy because I read that it could be a tough week. I noticed more gas pain, and swelly belly (not hard, but definitely noticeable). Sometimes my gas pain combines with a sudden need to have a bm and I can't control it. I had to go back on stool softeners to deal with that. I was off my meds (only motrin once in a while) but I did take 2 this week. I have some minor spotting (dark) so i called the doctor and was told what I was told on here. If it's red or like a period, and accompanied by pain or fever/chills, call back for appt. I'm not in any pain, just some occasional gas discomfort. i just pop a gas x. I've been walking daily, but when I noticed the swelling post longer walks, I took a rest day and tried to stay off my feet. This was hard because I was very active pre surgery. I come to this site daily and i love that the people who have had the surgery on similar dates are on the same thread. That helps me feel comforted that the same folks are going through this with me. Next week I am going to focus on nutrition and add some lifting of db's. I was cleared 2 weeks ago to lift light, but I wanted to wait until week 4, so I'm ready. I am so thankful for this site.
Unread 08-19-2016, 09:07 PM

Hang in there..
Unread 08-20-2016, 08:38 AM

I had a difficult time with week three also, but almost magically on day 27 I started to feel like myself again with far more energy and stamina.....and it is continuing. Hang in there. It does get better!
Unread 08-20-2016, 10:15 AM

I'm 3 days post and I had everything removed except 1 ovary and tube. It was done through vaginal. I now have a knot over my belly button that hurts and huge bruises popping up on my legs for no reason. Is this normal?

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register