LAVH Phantom Pain 3+ weeks post hysterectomy? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Phantom Pain 3+ weeks post hysterectomy? Phantom Pain 3+ weeks post hysterectomy?

Unread 08-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Phantom Pain 3+ weeks post hysterectomy?

I could swear the last couple days I've been having period cramps. It feels exactly the same. I took it as a good sign that my pain was getting better but still I'm a little weirded out by it. I know it's possible if you have a limb removed but I've never heard of it with a hysterectomy. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2016, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I could swear the last couple days I've been having period cramps. It feels exactly the same. I took it as a good sign that my pain was getting better but still I'm a little weirded out by it. I know it's possible if you have a limb removed but I've never heard of it with a hysterectomy. Thoughts?
Hi, You kept your ovaries, so you would continue to ovulate. Those sisters that have kept their cervix w ovaries may have mini periods too.. Notice if your symptoms correspond w a cycle. Pains are also possible where work was performed around the ovaries.
Unread 08-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Re: Phantom Pain 3+ weeks post hysterectomy?

I kept my ovaries & cervix and occasionally get them too. When it happens to me, it feels like dull menstrual cramps, which is why I also call them "phantom uterine cramps". I've noticed them later on days when I've done more, or on the day after for a while. I also tend to get swelly belly accompanying them. They don't necessarily correspond with a cycle which was irregular anyway. Also, just a few days I thought I was having them, but it turned out to be gas! That makes sense because the rectum and part of the large intestine are in the same area.

Interestingly, there are threads on here from Sisters who had a total hysterectomy and both ovaries removed yet get them, too. This is one of the rare occasions I Googled outside of HysterSisters - got a lot of hits including many from here, but no real explanation.

While I still get these crampy type feelings, they're less frequent, and more annoying than anything. It does get better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2016, 06:34 AM

The cramping could be coming from your intestinal tract. It's in the same general area as where your uterus used to be, and the smooth muscles in there can be stimulated by the same prostaglandins that would stimulate your period. Ibuprofen inhibits prostaglandin activity, so ask your doctor or pharmacist about taking that. Also try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which works by relaxing those smooth muscles, so they don't contract so forcefully; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. Best wishes for your continued recovery!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register