im 26 and scared plz tell me what i might go through | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

im 26 and scared plz tell me what i might go through im 26 and scared plz tell me what i might go through

Unread 11-02-2004, 08:41 PM
im 26 and scared plz tell me what i mite go threw

hi yall im 26 and fixen to have a hysterectomy on nov 16th i have no clue in what to do in packing and other stuff plz help me....the only thing i do know is i got to feel better than what im feeling now after the surgury...if u can help me plz do .... i have no one else to help me my boy friend left me cuz of everything that is happening to me and he couldn t handle it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2004, 09:02 PM
im 26 and scared plz tell me what i might go through

call your dr. office and talk to the nurse. ask her how long she expects you to be in the hosp. to the hospital..... take a robe, tooth brush, tooth paste, slippers, hair brush, shampoo. wear baggy comfy clothes to the hosp , then you can wear those home too. you can take a night gown, but don't be surprised if you use the hosp gowns. stock your freezer with easy microwavable food for when you get home. ask someone to look in on you when you get home. plan on sleeping a lot when you get home. buy some huge cotton underwear..............big, big, big. even if you are having a vag hysterectomy, you don't want anything tight on your tummy. do you have "sleep pants"? if not, get a couple of big sized , they will not bind on your tummy and will feel good when you get home. make sure you tell the nurse and anesthesiologist at the hosp that you are really scared. they will help you.

good luck
thinking about it is the hardest part!

honestly, my hysterectomy was the best thing i ever did for myself!
nel
Unread 11-03-2004, 03:34 AM

Hi chef_rose;
I know you are scared. It's okay to be scared.
I'm so glad you have found this site. There are so many amazing women here to help you.
You don't say what type of surgery you are having. It would help us to better answer your questions if we know what type of surgery you are having.
Don't worry too much about things to bring to the hospital. They will supply you with most things.
Wear their gowns, wear one backwards for a robe too check if they have the mesh panties they're pretty easy to wear. Why mess up your things?
Bring your toothbrush/toothpaste brush/comb, if you have a favorite soap, bring that along with your shampoo/conditioner and your slippers with gripping bottoms some lip balm and lotion, it feels nice on your hands.
Also a back scratcher! I brought all type of things to read and do like crossword puzzles, etc., but never read or did anything.
Type to us anytime! We are here for you!
Take care and best wishes to you!

Sybie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2004, 06:51 AM

OK -- here's my two cents' worth.

I agree with the other sisters. If your quality of life is suffering half as much as mine was prior to surgery, you are only DAYS AWAY from jumping on the road to a much better life. Try to focus on how great you're going to feel once you've recovered, and don't worry about complications which may or may not occur. For example, I was told I had a good chance of a wound infection and of spending a night in ICU because of my weight, but neither one happened. So I'm glad I didn't focus on those possibilities. If they happened, I would have dealt with them at the time.

I thought I was packing light but I only used about 3 things in the castle!!! My advice would be to forget bringing nightgowns or slippers or even socks. My hospital wanted me wearing their stuff -- it was easier with the IVs and other equipment and that way I didn't stain any of my good stuff! They had non-skid socks which really worked great, too.

This is what I used:

Lotion and body spray (took the smallest size of my favorite Bath & Body Works stuff)

Toothbrush and toothpaste

Small notebook and pen so I could journal my experience -- good thing because my memory was shot the first two days

One magazine -- finally read it the third day

Honestly -- that was all I used. While you're not "well enough" to use any of the rest, you won't have the energy to use it, and by the time you do feel "well enough", you'll want to come home!

Other suggestions I've heard which I'm in no position to argue with because they are so universal: lip balm, portable CD player and relaxation CDs, hard candy, and some women swear by taking their own pillows. But again, I just asked for more and the nurses were great.

One other suggestion -- make sure your "recovery space" is as nicely finished as you can make it. TV, VCR and/or DVD player, comfy sheets, and lots of pillows. Stock up on easy foods like soup, pudding cups, frozen foods, your favorite coffees and teas.

You're gonna do great! Best of luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register