Lap-surgery on March 31- I am only 23 and probably with cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lap-surgery on March 31- I am only 23 and probably with cancer Lap-surgery on March 31- I am only 23 and probably with cancer

Unread 03-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Lap-surgery on March 31- I am only 23 and probably with cancer

Hello!
My name is Zhanna. I am originally from Ukraine. I am deciding if I need to have a laparoscomy or not. I had my right -side ovary removed in Ukraine. It was solid. I have complex cysts on my left one, they are partly fluid-filled, partly solid. I asked the doctor to sign the paper that he is not going to remove my ovary under no circumstances but he refused. Do you think I can find any doctor who will agree to this in New York? Please, help me!!! I have so many quiestions and nobody to consult.
Sincerely,
Zhanna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2005, 04:29 PM

this board isn't a place for legal advice, so i won't explain why the doctor will refuse to give you a written guarantee, but in all the years I've practiced law here in NY ...well, my gut reaction is that you won't find a doctor willing to make a written commitment not to remove your ovary. because if they start the surgery and find it's medically necessary to remove it, that's what they're going to have to do.
Unread 03-15-2005, 06:00 PM

Zhanna, I live in California so don't know of any doctors in NY. but one suggestion is to gather up all your records (including ultrasound reports, etc.). Make copies for yourself. Make an appointment at a major cancer center, New York must have at least one. Bring your records with you and discuss the whys and why nots of what would be considered the practice of good medicine in your particular case. You should be able to find a doctor who can help you find an acceptable solution.

It sounds like you may not be very trusting of the doctors to spare your ovary if no cancer is found. Don't be shy about letting the doctor know whatever your concerns are. A good one will be willing to work with you and include you into the decision making process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2005, 08:05 AM

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you don't want your ovary removed under any circumstance -- even if it is found to have disease (cancer) on it?

I am uncertain as to why you wouldn't want it removed if it were cancerous. However, if want to pursue only non-surgical treatment for your cancer (or no treatment at all) you can specify that. I believe you will need a fairly strong health directive to do that. That was so in the case of my mom, who absolutely refused any cancer treatments when she found she had lung cancer. She was also required to go through psych testing to assure the docs that she was of sound enough mind to make such a decision. (She wanted no surgery, no chemo, no radiation, no antibiotics, and no recussitation -- so it was pretty extreme.)

You do need to check the laws in your particular state, however. Amazing as it sounds, patients' rights are different in each state.

As you know, we cannot recommend particular doctors here at Hyster Sisters. But you're in (or near if you're not right in the burroughs) a huge metro area and you should be able to find almost any sort of medical care you require.

I'm not sure I answered your question, but I hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register