how long does actual TAH surgery last? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long does actual TAH surgery last? how long does actual TAH surgery last?

Unread 10-22-2011, 10:14 PM
how long does actual TAH surgery last?

just wondering about a ballpark estimate for the length of the actual surgery. thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Re: how long does actual TAH surgery last?

I've heard from 1 to 2 hours depending on complexity/what they find inside. Then expect between 1 to 2 hours in the recovery room before being taken back to your room.
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:46 PM

McLila is right. I kept my cervix which is a little less invasive than a TAH and I was in the operating room about 2 hours. You need to remember that some of the time in the operating room is spent preparing you and putting you under so the actual surgery was less than 2 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2011, 11:51 PM

Mine was hour and a half and that was sending my tumor to be biospy included.I had everything removed.Great Surgeon.
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:30 AM

They had told me to expect a 1-1/2 hour operation. I had a TAH and a panniculectomy, meaning a plastic surgeon took some extra fat and skin. Due to adhesions from previous surgery (2 c-sections and kidney surgery during childhood) my uterus and bladder were adhered to each other and the surgery ended up taking about 2-1/2 hours.

Thankfully, you won't know how long the surgery lasts but of course it's nice for your loved ones to know what to expect. At my hospital they always let the family know whe the "first cut" is made and then they also let them know when the patient gets to recovery.
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:31 AM

but you're pretty much out for all of it, no? do you wake up in the recovery room?
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:40 AM

You'll be wheeled into the OR, might remember a couple minutes there, and next think you know you'll be in recovery. It's an unnerving feeling as mentally you don't feel like any time has lapsed. I supposed that's ultimately good - but I do find it kind of odd. Definitely not like just falling asleep.
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:00 AM

Anesthesia does a real number on me and it sticks with me for a long time. I do remember a portion in the operating room but my next real memory was in my hospital room. I have been put under a few times and I never remember the recovery room so don't be surprised if that part isn't something you remember. I tend to ease back into consciousness so there isn't that unnerving feeling or the feeling that time hasn't passed that other ladies express.
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:11 AM

It will depend on what all your doctor ends up having to do when s/he gets in there. I had a TLH on 10/19 with left oophorectomy (right was removed in 03) that was supposed to take around 2.5 hours and it ended up taking about 5. Mine took longer because it was difficult to keep it from having to be TAH instead of TLH because of the amount of adhesions and endo. Apparently it was a pretty big tangled mess that I should have had fixed a while back.

Your doctor should be able to give you a good idea how long it should take prior to surgery but don't be surprised if it ends up taking longer... my DH was freaking out.
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Mine took around 2 hrs and that was including clean up from years of endo.

Good thing is, I don't remember a thing about it!

I was kinda out of it for the first 24 hours, waking up off and on. Now, it is a distant memory!

Wishing you an uncomplicated surgery and rapid recovery! Keep us posted on your progress!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register