Scheduled dVH/RALH Will period delay surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will period delay surgery? Will period delay surgery?

Unread 07-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Will period delay surgery?

I thought I had everything timed just right, but I was wrong. I think I'll be on my period when it comes to surgery day. I completely forgot to ask my Dr. during pre-op if that would delay the surgery. I don't think it will, but has anyone asked their Dr. About this and if its a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Re: A TMI question :)

I asked 3 different times. It will not interfere with surgery.. :-):-):-)
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:46 PM

I know for me, this was a problem for my doc as she said it is possible that being on my period during surgery has a chance of causing hemorrhaging. Now that might be due to my circumstance only though as I have seriously heavy heavy bleeds. I can hemorrhage during my period anyway. So I actually had to go on the pill prior to surgery to prevent my period from coming only because my period is completely unpredictable, so no amount of planning works for me.

I was on my period last time I had surgery to remove endometriosis 6 years ago and I did hemorrhage (they had to open me up to stop it) but I had attributed that to my excessive ibuprofen intake for many years prior. But this time around the doc wants to make sure I am not on my period so I am not sure 100% if my period or the ibuprofen or both caused this issue. Note: I did stop the ibuprofen prior to surgery as directed, but I think I spent years thinning out my blood, that stopping it a few days prior couldn't have been all that helpful

So I would suggest just calling your doc and getting his/her advice asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2013, 07:47 PM

I asked my doctor that question as I was supposed to get my period on the day of my surgery. My doc said that's fine, it will be your last. He also mentioned that if he waited until his patients weren't bleeding, he'd almost never be able to do surgery That said, I have seen posts by women who had their surgeries cancelled because of periods. For that reason, you should call your doctor to make sure what his/her policy is. Here is an article on menstruating before hysterectomy. Hope it helps!
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:59 PM

I called my DR because I am due to start right before surgery. They said no problem.
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:03 PM

Thank you ladies I really appreciate your responses! I'll call my Dr. tomorrow. Hopefully he won't have a problem proceeding with the scheduled surgery.
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:21 AM

I asked and they said no problem
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:05 AM
Re: Will period delay surgery?

I got my period the day before surgery! When I arrived at the hospital bleeding heavily, they assured me this would be no problem, as it would be over after surgery was complete!!!!!
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:33 AM

I stressed so much about surgery I brought mine on and dr said no problem! It was over after surgery!
Unread 07-25-2013, 09:10 AM

Not a bit. I had my surgery last Friday, and I was right in the middle of my period. Doc said didn't matter at all!

GOOD LUCK!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register