how long to spot after TVH? Getting frustrated. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long to spot after TVH? Getting frustrated. how long to spot after TVH? Getting frustrated.

Unread 10-29-2008, 02:46 PM
how long to spot after TVH? Getting frustrated.

Hi ladies!
I had my surgery on Monday Oct 20th. I used to be on here alot more but the computer I mainly use is UPSTAIRS and I can't go up and down so I have to use this very slow laptop.

I started out with some bleeding on day 2 that was dark red and the nurse said it's ok. I went home and it was very light from there on out. Barely enough to notice on the pad at the end of the day.

Yesterday I saw my doc who encouraged me to get up and move around a little more.

Last night I paid dearly. I was in so much pain and it was definitely surgical pain. I'm not sure where it was coming from, but probably the vaginal cuff? It was horrible. My legs also hurt pretty bad.

Today my spotting is as bad as the day I was released from the hospital. It's heavier but not that dark color.

Did I do too much? Should I be concerned? Just how long did those of you who had TVH bleed? My doc said no more than two weeks. I'm wondering if since it's heavier that means it's healing or if that's not good.

I had a small complication in the OR where I wouldn't stop bleeding so the operation was more than twice as long as scheduled.

I'd appreciate your input as I am a mess.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Hmmm, that's too bad. Do you know what the OR "complication" was, like do you have a clotting/bleeding problem or something, that you know of? Also, did your doc do an internal check? I would say if your bleeding moderately to heavy, let Dr. know if it is continuous, and rest. Just move your legs around if you aren't up and about (heel pumps, foot extensions)every now and than.
I had a TVH same day as you. still some occ. brownish spotting. They say can last 3-4 weeks, but should not be heavy.
Unfortunately, today I am having weird vag pain, go figure.
Good luck!
Unread 10-29-2008, 03:35 PM

Hi Olive,
Wasn't much fun was it? I noticed also I'm having more vaginal pain lately. I'm trying to use wipes w/ witch hazel as everything is sore down there.

My doc didn't do an internal and I was so glad. I can't imagine how I would have walked out of there.

All my husband said was I just kept bleeding while they were stitching me up. They put a stitch in, watch, wait, and then put another one in and repeat. I wonder how many stitches are normal.

My spotting isn't brownish at all. It's like a orangey red color.It's annoying wearing a pad after a hysterectomy. URGH.
I think some of the irritation is because of the bleeding and the pad added to the surgery itself.

Hope you're feeling better soon too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2008, 04:25 PM

I had my TVH on Sept 24 the first 10 days or so the spotting was a red/pinkish colour, next couple of weeks after that it was a weird brownish colour and was kinda liquidy.....now for the last week or so its been a yellowish colour?? All I know is I am 5 weeks post op today and I have had to wear a panty liner and change it a few times a day since the very first day!! Hopefuly this will be the tail end of things and it'll be all good in a week or so!
Unread 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM

Oh my gosh, according to my math it's been like 35 days for you? Oh my, I'm going crazy now cuz I'm getting so raw and irritated. I was hoping it'd be gone by the end of the week.

I'd been through this last year when I bled non stop, but this is even more frustrating since I've had a hysterectomy!

For your sake I hope you're done soon!

Thanks for your replies ladies!
Lisa
Unread 10-29-2008, 06:56 PM

I never bled other than for the few days and that was very little. I did have a brownish discharge for several weeks. Bright red blood is always bad, a discharge is expected. When in doubt, give your doctor a call. How many panyliners are you using a day...soaking them?

Wearing a pantyliner or pad everyday had my entire area down there was red, raw and irritated. I ended up coating myself with vaseline as a barrier for a few weeks. I was not feeling the benefits of the surgery for quite some time!!

Good news....it does stop and there will be a day you won't ever have to wear one of those things again!! You are still very early in the recovery!!

Stitches..I always thought I had 100's cuz that is what I saw in other posts....I asked at my 6wk check and she informed me I had FOUR lol
Unread 10-29-2008, 09:27 PM

When I had my TVH 2 years ago I spotted on and off for 5 weeks. I only had to use liners though. It started out a reddish color then went to a brownish color by the end. My OB said it was normal to spot like that as long as it didn't turn really red and also it shouldn't fill a super pad in an hour.
As far as stitches inside...I had 10.
Hope this helps you some. Take care
Unread 10-30-2008, 05:08 AM

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but did you all bleed more when you had a BM? I just had one this morning and felt the blood oozing on out. It's a strange consistency now. Still light red orange color. Not anything like a period. I use a regular pad and usually don't have to change during the day. It ends up on the pad really light. Most of it is wiped away. Sorry if that's TMI, but I'm so worried about how long this is going to last. My doc said that's normal about when you have a BM, but I wondered if it happens to others?

I'm still early on, but so impatient to wear those white pants. LOL
Unread 10-30-2008, 09:06 AM

Yes, I also have had some brief light bleeding or drainage during/after BM's, especially the first few. I make sure not to push at all. The whole bowel thing has been my biggest complaint. The first whole week I was so distended, gassy and constipated, even taking softeners and with suppositories a few times. Finally things are more normal. Just resumed my iron.
Unread 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM

Hey ilovecandy, we had the same procedure on the same day! I kept my ovaries also. Seems that has been okay. I have had no hot flashes or major mood swings....I know sometimes ovarian failure can occur, though I believe usually temporary......what about yourself?
Another thing too, yesterday I was having more lower vag discomfort....I made the mistake of looking down there (mirror) and wow, that was weird. swollen and kinda bruised!! The first week I could barely wipe. I was never warned about that. I guess being a nurse I should have known. I guess during the surgery there seems to be a bit of trauma like child birth. The resident making rounds said it was from the "contractors" I believe. I have only had one rather small sized baby 22 years ago so I guess that makes a difference according to my GYN.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register