LAVH Healing Incisions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Healing Incisions Healing Incisions

Unread 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Healing Incisions

My incisions were glued and all the glue finally came off today. Has anyone had a Dr recommend something you can put on the healed incisions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Re: Healing Incisions

The only thing that I found that was scientifically proven to reduce the scar or at least produce the best scar possible is a silicone scar sheet. They are available at drug stores under different brand names but be aware that they are rather expensive. I used to cut the ones I got into strips that just fit the incision due to the cost.

It would be great if you could start as soon as your incisions are healed as I waited too long while I fooled around with scar lotions like Bio-oil. I have horrible skin that scars badly and I didn't find out about the sheets until I was 3 or 4 months post-op. The scar sheets did help but like I said, I should have started them as soon as my incision was healed. I am presently using the scar sheet on a mole that I had removed and it is healing beautifully under the silicone. It hasn't gone hypertrophic like my hysterectomy scar and it has been 2 and a half months now.

Keeping your incision well moisturized and gentle massage will also help your skin heal the best it can.

I hope this helps.
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM

I had 3 incision sites. One had a drain in it which they steritaped shut and it is healing fast. Another is my belly button which still is glued and the other was glued. Yesterday I went to pull up my pants because they were sagging and accidentally grabbed ahold of a little loose glue and yanked it off. OUCH it hurt!!! Luckily it was pretty healed already but it pulled off the scab with it. I was told just to let them be, keep it clean and dry. I agree though if you can afford to get the scar strip things it would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2013, 12:32 AM

The only thing my surgeon said I could use on my incision once the staples came out is polysporin. He advised hydrogen peroxide (wasn't happy with this) and polysporin, and keeping the incision dry and covered for the first bit.

Before you use anything on your incision though I recommend calling the doctor's office to ask because a mistake could lead to complications and/or infection. They may tell you to wait until your six week check up, but definitely it is wise to check first. Good luck.
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3ll3 View Post
The only thing that I found that was scientifically proven to reduce the scar or at least produce the best scar possible is a silicone scar sheet. They are available at drug stores under different brand names but be aware that they are rather expensive.
I scar really easily, and they are always ugly, red, and raised. I think I've tried every cream, oil, etc available. Nothing has been effective but the silicone sheet. I tried the silicone ointment, and it was not effective. I have a 7 inch scar down the middle of my lower spine that is raised. I didn't find the silicone sheets until it was healed about a year later. I used them on it (nearly went broke ), but the scar was no longer red, and it is not nearly as raised. I used it on my LAVH incisions after they healed, and it looks like the scarring will be minimal.
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie 1122 View Post
I scar really easily, and they are always ugly, red, and raised. I think I've tried every cream, oil, etc available. Nothing has been effective but the silicone sheet. I tried the silicone ointment, and it was not effective. I have a 7 inch scar down the middle of my lower spine that is raised. I didn't find the silicone sheets until it was healed about a year later. I used them on it (nearly went broke ), but the scar was no longer red, and it is not nearly as raised. I used it on my LAVH incisions after they healed, and it looks like the scarring will be minimal.
They can be washed and used over and over again. The small piece I have been using on my mole scar is now two and half months old. Still seems to be doing the job. I wonder if they tell you to throw it away after a few weeks so that they can sell more. My worth. I am using tegaderm over the top to keep it sticking to my side.
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM

I have never heard of silicone sheets. The incisions healed really well, barely visable but 1. One incision was made in a previous scar i had from where they cut me open to take my right ovary and what they called a "chocolate cyst" the size of a softball in 2011. That scar was already very reddish purple and they put one of the cuts in it.
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:43 PM

Simple and cheap buy some vitamin E oil and rub some on every day. That's what I used for my other surgery's.
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynapooh View Post
Simple and cheap buy some vitamin E oil and rub some on every day. That's what I used for my other surgery's.
Be aware that studies show no proof that it works and it can be harmful as some people have an allergic reaction to it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register