Fibroids and kidney stone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids and kidney stone Fibroids and kidney stone

Unread 05-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Fibroids and kidney stone

Hello - I was just diagnosed with "massively large" fibroids according to the radiologists report from the CT. I also had an ultrasound which showed I have 2. I originally presented at an urgent for possible kidney stone which I also have. The fibroids are preventing me from passing the kidney stone. So at times I am in extreme pain. I was given enough pain meds for a few days but don't think the kidney stone will pass until the fibroids are reduced in size or removed. To top this all off I am currently teaching in a remote setting for two weeks so I can't get an appointment until I get home.

Has anyone dealt with this combination of issues before? Is there any treatments besides surgery that can reduce the size of fibroids quickly? If I have to schedule surgery how long does it normally take to get it scheduled? Has anyone had robotic surgery? What was the experience and recovery time like?

I would prefer not to have surgery if possible but the pain is unbearable at times. I feel bad for my students who have to deal with me for the next two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Re: Fibroids and kidney stone

I have had both fibroids and an "extremely large" kidney stone, but not both at one time. I feel for you. My kidney stone was the siuze of a golf ball & took eight months and six procedures/surgeries to finally go away. I pray your stone is not as large as mine since I will be on medication for the rest of my life to prevent another one. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 05-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Thanks Kgal. I hope mine is not that big, but I am really frustrated that people won't tell me actual sizes of things. Everything is an adjective - "honking" is how the ultrasound technician described my kidney stone and "massively" is how they described my fibroids.I hope you never get another one that big again. I can't even imagine that.This is my second stone, but the first one was like 8 years ago so I don't get them too frequently.

My husband has been great and has made me two doctors appointments so I can get two opinions on everything since things are time sensitive with the kidney stone. Only two days of debilitating pain while up here in no man's land so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2014, 03:55 PM

In taking myself to the emergency room for dire pain I discovered that I had not only one, but two massive kidney stones - one in each kidney. One of which was blocking the flow of urine at the time. I have never felt pain like it before. Nor do I wish to experience it ever again. Both were too large to pass naturally but luckily I was able to manage by staying hydrated. While pursuing treatment for the kidney stones I discovered that my fibroids had also grown to a monstrous size and had to prioritize treatment for both. In my case the fibroids had grown so large that we determined surgery was the only appropriate course of action. There was no quick fix in either case. So I followed up my hysterectomy with three procedures to remove the kidney stones – one per month for three months. I had a single lithotripsy procedure on each and one ureteroscopy on the left kidney as the stone was in the lower pole and fragments were not passing. I really wish you the best of luck as I know that has got to be miserable feeling that pain for two days!

EDIT - I should have noted my fibroid issue was serious enough that I was scheduled for the following week.
Unread 05-15-2014, 04:31 PM

When I was first diagnosed with a fibroid these are the options I was provided. I decided to wait and see if it shrunk, and it did not. It ended up growing rapidly, and I had a TAH.
1. Wait and do nothing. I can try to ride it out. I could wait for menopause to happen and shrink it about 1/3. The problem is that we don’t know when I will go through it, and the ultrasound revealed that my ovaries are healthy and active (folical hairs). And the fibroid could continue to get bigger. I am already uncomfortable by it.

2. Shots: If I choose not to wait, there are both medicinal and surgical options. I could take a medicine called depo Lupron (shots) for about 6 months. This shuts down the hormone system that makes estrogen. It would shrink it about 1/3 after about 3 months. The problem with this, is once you stop taking it, the fibroid grows back. The meds put you in menopause. Side effects of menopause.

3. Surgical Removal called Myomectomy: The size of my fibroid makes it technically more challenging to remove. Fibroids may develop even after this procedure. And they do in 20 to 40% of women. Recovery would be 4 to 6 weeks.

4, Laparotomy: depends on size and location of fibroid. Done by a cancer surgeon as they have the experience with the robotic machine.

5. Uterine Artery Embolization: catheter/pellets. (Can also kill good tissue). I went to a doctor about this and ruled this out.

6. Hysterectomy: When fibroids are very large, this is an option. Also if pain and bleeding persists and other treatments are not an option. I ended up with a TAH.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register