Spoke to Dr | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Spoke to Dr

She said she wants me to go for a Colonscopy. I told her I had sharp pains under my belly button and on my right side and numbness on the insicion. I had a CA-125 cancer test the week of my operation and everything was fine. But I have a dear friend who is living with Colon Cancer right now for four years so I am scared.

Has anyone had this test ? I know they have to put you out. But will I have to go though another 10 weeks waiting for the swelly belly to go away? mine is still with me.

Help
Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Spoke to Dr

Hi Janet,

The most unpleasant part of a colonoscopy is the idea of it and the prep.

The stuff you have to drink to clean the ol' poop chute is not too bad...if you like the taste of baking soda. Ewww. And, if you like going to the bathroom continuously for hours...and if you like not eating.

But, really, that part and thinking about it are far worse than the actual procedure. They give you Versed, which doesn't really put you out. It just makes your memory goofy and you don't give a fat rat while you're on it.

So, you shouldn't really have any more or less swelly belly as a result. Some people have a lot of air that needs to come out afterward so you might want an hour or so at home before you head to Walmart to give a rump trumpet recital.

I didn't have that so much but my husband sure did. But, being a guy and all, he rather enjoyed tooting his own horn.

Best of luck,
Rebecca
Unread 08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Spoke to Dr

I had my colonoscopy last year - and am really glad I had it last year, too! They found and removed 3 polyps that were pre-cancerous! (Colon cancer runs in my family).

I got the pill prep instead of the liquid prep. I loved how Rebecca called it cleaning the "ol poop chute." The pill prep had the same effect as the liquid - without the icky taste.

I was awake for the whole procedure. I had no pain. I got to watch the doctor remove the polyps during the procedure. I was so goofy from the "who cares" meds that they gave me that I was actually my doctor as she was removing the polyps: "There it is - get it. That's it! GET IT! YIPPPEEEE You got it! Ooooo - there' s another one..." My doctor said she never had so much fun during a colonoscopy before.

I hope you have a good experience with yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Spoke to Dr

Well thank you so much ladies. I have always had problems with my stomache. When I was pregnant I had to be feed though an IV for a month. I can't eat dairy products either. The Dr that operated on me said I was "full" but I go "poop" everyday. I know I need this. I am going away on the 26th. Should I have the test before I go away? because I do have pain now. Or will I have major swelly belly and should wait until I come home.

I love you guys, thanks for the laughs
janet
Unread 08-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Spoke to Dr

I had my colonoscopy earlier this year. My GYN wanted me to have it done. He had to send me back to my GP to be referred to a Gastroenterologist, who had to see me and then schedule the colonoscopy, which was at a surgical center so there were co-ordination issues there. So, it took a few weeks to get it all scheduled. Thus, I suggest you get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

The last thing I remember from my colonoscopy was the nurse putting meds in my IV. Apparently I was awake for my procedure, but the Versed worked and I have no recollection of it at all.

Truly the worst part for me was the liquid diet for two days -- no red, no dairy, no pulp, no seeds, no no no-- and the bowel prep. I had phoso soda and the thought of it still makes my stomach churn. I did find for the last bottle it helped to put it in the freezer first! It is too salty to freeze.

My having the colonoscopy I know now my colon looked great so I am glad I did it. I really had no pain or gas issues afterward although I ate lightly at first to make sure I was okay since I do have IBS.

I do want to mention I have pain behind my belly button as well, and we attribute it to scar tissue/adhesions from my lap and LAVH.

Best wishes to you for your test! I hope you find some help for your situation.
Unread 08-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Weiser

Thank you so much for all the info. I have been though so much medically the last three years what is one more thing. I do know when I take some Gas med's I feel alittle better.

Thank you all for your help. I am so grateful for the information. I love this place.

janet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register