Where, Oh Where, Has My Sleep Gone..... - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Where, Oh Where, Has My Sleep Gone..... Where, Oh Where, Has My Sleep Gone.....

Unread 08-09-2005, 09:34 AM
Where, Oh Where, Has My Sleep Gone.....

I'm 15 days post-op and re-posting on this thread to say that I tried some things suggested here, and am glad to say that drinking a big cup of hot chocolate before bed has really helped my insomnia. I'm also just trying to ignore the crazy dreams and not get upset about them. The last few days I've done more walking around, it feels good to get mving again. And I'm lying down in the afternoons but not actually sleeping. So thanks for the pointers, ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2005, 02:11 PM

I am relieved to see I am not the only one that is not sleeping good.
I went back to work full six weeks. I get off work and go home to lay down for a little while, (i make sure not to fall asleep) because I am so exhausted at the end of the day, after a couple of hours I get up for my thirty minute walk and come home to get ready for bed. most of the time I don't even feel like eating supper. I am still taking the 800mg motrin because I am still having sharp pains. Unfortunately I can't take Benadryl or Tylenol pm because of a allergic reaction. But I am going to try the Melatonin until I can get back to my doctor. whew! what a relief what I am experiencing is common and you ladies have some very helpful suggestions.... thank you
Unread 08-09-2005, 04:48 PM

Last night I was up until 2am. I ended up sleeping on the couch so I wouldn't keep DH awake since he has gone back to work. My DS was online and we chatted--he thought it was funny that his mom was still up on the computer at 2am. We'll see how it goes tonight.

I want to take something to help me sleep, but my experience with those are always hangover and groggy feelings the next day--and when I was at work, it wasn't good. I guess right now it would be ok since I'm not going to work yet.

I've been moving around a bit more to make me sleepy at bedtime, but right now I think I did a little much. I'm having pain in the usual spot--right ovary--where it used to be anyway, and the pain shoots down to my right foot. I'm so tired of taking Vicodins!! Those do help, and make me sleep really good--too good actually, nightmares if I sleep during the day, and dreams that are strange--kind of like 2 layer deep dreams, where in my dream I'm dreaming but wake up, but then really wake up and I wasn't really awake the first time?? So I'm trying to wean down and maybe I'll take an OTC pain killer.

But, I did find a cool website. It is http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors/ -- I was looking for some information because we saw a really bright something next to the moon the other night, and I think it was Venus that the moon was passing by. Then, my DH wanted to know when to start looking for the meteor showers again. All those stars and things are confusing, but this website was interesting...especially if you're not getting any when something is supposed to be happening in the night skies.

In a couple days (nights!) I guess we're going catfishing...another nighttime sport, he he.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2005, 05:17 PM

This is scary. If we all could get some rest, we would probably be feeling a whole beter than we do.

Took 1 ambien at 10:00 last night and got back up @ 1:00 AM. I have been up ever since. I should have been at work at 6:30 AM. I had to call in for a vacation day today after just returing over a week ago. My body just could not do it.

This just stinks!
Unread 08-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Restless Legs

I am 10 days post op and seem to be having trouble with restless legs. It is like they need to move and feel achy. I have tried Tylenol P.M., Ibruprofen, my pain meds, and ativan. I sleep to sleep a night then have left aches and the next night. Last night I was up to probably 3, I even broke down and took a HOT bath but did not let the water reach my belly. So far nothing works. I do not drink cafeiine. I drink water and an occaisonal O.J. I am not to worried now but next week I go back to college and I am not sure how well I can sit in class if I am exhausted.
Thanks,
Theresa
Unread 08-17-2005, 01:55 PM

I would advise you to contact your doctor. There is a medication to take for restless legs. Also, I would have your doctor check your legs as well. After major surgery it is wise to check for blood clots just to be on the safe side. Do visit the doctor before returning to school.
Unread 08-17-2005, 02:29 PM

I thought I was loosing my mind, well maybe I am, just don’t tell anyone. I am 12 weeks post op, yes three months, and I still can’t sleep. I haven’t taken a nap in several weeks hoping that would help but it hasn’t. I don’t want to become addicted to meds as a means to fall asleep either, I just want it to go away.

Unread 08-17-2005, 02:41 PM

I started off months and months ago with Tylenol PM--worked for a few weeks then stopped. Then I got Lunesta. WHAT a god send. I would go to sleep within 15-20 minutes and when the alarm clock went off I was wide awake and rested, THEN it stopped working. SO I am not napping and no caffeine. UP all day, post op 7 days, walking some during the day, no chocolate, no pain meds----still not sleeping.

GA
Unread 08-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Afraid in Akron

I am somewhat new to this site and it is so refreshing to know that there are other sisters out there going through the same things I am. I am 1 1/2 week post op and I have not gotten a full night's sleep since the night before my surgery. I can sleep for two hours and then I am awake staring at the ceilings for two. Also during the two hours that I am asleep, I am having these CRAZY dreams. In some of the dreams, I am actually fighting and I wake up feeling sore and exhausted. Any idea where the crazy dreams are coming from? Some are pertaining to the hysterectomy, some with me forgetting things and panicking to the point where I will wake up sweating and my heart racing. I have never been much of a dreamer. Also, my memory has not been all that good and I can go into a daze within seconds. Yesterday, I did manage to go for a longer walk and I got a little more sleep than usual. Along with my feeling like I have lost part of my being,the fear of not being able to have the intimacy my husband and I once had, the possible weight gain (I am already, as they say "HEALTHY") and the whole surgical menopause ordeal I am afraid. Has anyone else been experiencing these feelings????
Unread 08-17-2005, 06:28 PM

It sounds like we all need to be chatting on-line at 2 am in the morning. LOL I'm so tired I can't see straight, but unable to take a nap. I take Klonopin for restless legs and it has always put me sound to sleep, but now Klonopin and a darvocet won't do that! Thanks for all the great ideas. I hope to be able to testify to how well they work soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register