Has anyone had surgery cancelled because of an illness/cold? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had surgery cancelled because of an illness/cold? Has anyone had surgery cancelled because of an illness/cold?

Unread 09-07-2001, 09:14 PM
Has anyone had surgery cancelled because of an illness/cold?

I was just reading some of the posts & started thinking- my 5 yr. old looks like she is coming down with something (again). Now i am worried that i might catch it & have my surgery cancelled - i am only 3 days away. I will be washing my hands a LOT. Thanks to all my new sisters! You are great! Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2001, 03:12 AM

Hey Susan!! I was just wondering the same thing!! I woke up with a scratching throat-no one around me is sick!! Our trips to the castle are the same day. I've just got approval from the ins. co yesterday-I sure don't want to get sick now-Just finished my 1st glass of OJ- Probally take some to work with me today-Last day!!! Sniffling too!!!! susie
Unread 09-08-2001, 05:19 AM

I was wondering this to. Since my kids are in school and seem to get sick at least once a month with colds, cough, ear infections and stomach viruses, I'm thinking I may want to keep them out of school the week before my surgery date. I sure don't want an illness to cancel my surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2001, 05:26 AM
you guys sound like me!!

I am in the same boat . I have felt like something is coming for days. I am pumping myself full of fresh fruits and veggies 1000mg vitamin C a multi vitamin and echinecea. I cannot be sick.. It would affect more than just me. I have someone doing my job for 8 weeks and they are so excited. I have a really plum job so it is sought after.My mom has postponed her arrival in Mexico to stay with me and my family. She is awesome and emotionally I am ready for this.

We will have to think positive

Unread 09-08-2001, 03:28 PM

{{{{}}}} I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, so close to your surgery

It would be really important to let your doctor know if you DO end up with a cold. While I know that the thought of a post-poned surgery sounds horrendous just right now, it is still better than not saying anything and having SERIOUS complications during surgery, due to conjestion.

I remember one having a cold a few weeks before her surgery, when I was Pre-Op. Her doctor simply prescribed some antibiotics to prevent pneumonia.

Regarding taking Vitamins and Herbs, please be sure to have your doctor's clearance on these issues: some of these meds (they are considered meds) have to be stopped up to two weeks before your surgery. Again, not consulting your doctor could result in your surgery being postponed or in serious complications during surgery and/or your recovery.

Hoping you're feeling better soon.

Unread 09-08-2001, 07:23 PM

I agree with Dany! Make sure you contact your doctor right away and let him/her know how you are feeling. Don't take herbal supplements without your doctor's consent.

Keep in mind that whatever the outcome---surgery or not----your doctor has your well-being in mind. Surgery will be rescheduled if necessary so as not to risk complications.

Feel better and get some rest!
Unread 09-10-2001, 03:17 PM

I also woke up with a sore throat and sneezing. Figures eh? I called the Dr and he said to take some cold medicine for the next few days and try to fight it off. I can't believe this is happening now. He said if I still have it next Tues to phone him, my surgery is booked for Wednesday. If they have to cancel I will go crazy because I won't be able to reschedule until the new year then. I have our trip in November and I don't want to be layed up during Christmas season either. Anyways hope I can fight this off or I have a funny feeling I may never go through with it again. Take care and hope you can all fight off your colds too!!!!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register