Fibroid problems - what's 'normal'? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroid problems - what's 'normal'? Fibroid problems - what's 'normal'?

Unread 05-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Fibroid problems - what's 'normal'?

Hello all,

I was told I have a fibroid roughly about 8cm a few weeks back. I had and MRI yesterday and am waiting on the results of this.

I wanted to ask (again, because I'm good at worrying myself) about fibroid symptoms. I know these can and will differ from person to person but I wonder if anyone here can tell me if this sounds familiar?

Most days I feel uncomfortable, like a feeling of pressure or dull ache in my pelvis just below my belly button. I also have a bulge in the same place although is seems bigger in the morning (sorry if that sounds ridiculous!) so I had assumed that the fibroid may be pressing on my bladder also as I have been needing to visit the loo more often.

The other symptoms are a bit more hit and miss. I get constipation, or bouts of bloating, sometimes twinges in my side, nausea on and off and lower back pain, particularly around the time of my period. I know that some of these if not all could be the fibroid but is it 'normal' to get them all the time? I feel like one symptom will disappear for a few days and then another starts up!

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Re: Fibroid problems - what's 'normal'?

Jaelyne,

All those symptoms you described are totally from those nasty fibroids as I too have them as well. I too have lower back pains, have to use the loo constantly, have a huge abdomen. Those are all symptoms are from our nasty fibroid alien. I hope that your periods are not extremely heavy with scary passing of huge clots like what I have experienced.

If your doctor suggests the "let's watch and wait" approach with regards to taking any action with your fibroid, all I would suggest is that you don't let your fibroid grow sooo big. Make sure you watch it diligently. If I had known I had a fibroid, I sure wouldn't have let it grow to 21 cm big as I currently have now.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.
Unread 05-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Hormones & Fibroids

Hi all,

I'm waiting to hear back about and MRI & the possible treatments for a fibroid.

I first started on Microgynon 3 months ago and it was around then that the fibroid started causing problems for me. What started as a bit of a hard area in my tummy seemed to get bigger and other symptoms like nausea, constipation and severe cramps seemed to appear out of nowhere. I assumed that this may have been in part due to the pill and stopped taking it.

Both my GP and Gyn say it is probably just coincidence and they do not believe fibroid growth is related to this pill. They asked me to take it again last month which I did, and again felt terrible. I've tried persisting with it but was back at my GP today to ask if there was something else I could try - I felt she honestly was sympathetic but she told me that I should continue taking it to keep my periods light until a decision is made on how we treat the fibroid. She told me that given the fibroid size, that I was having symptoms and because of my age (32) that they would offer me treatment options soon and to try and tolerate it a little longer.

I'm torn to be honest. I know of course that the pill helps control my heavy periods but I'm also concerned it might be influencing the fibroid growth - can this happen?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you

Jae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2010, 02:31 PM

Jaelyne,

Yep Fibroid hell is where you have landed...lol welcome to that club! I too use the loo regularly, bloat about 2 jean sizes in one day...pain like you would not believe on my period, which by the way can last 29 days..what fun indeed...blood cloths the size of mini golf balls...I am waiting for my surgery within the next 6 months...but seeking out other solutions (ie; just removing the fibroids and not my uterus) Hope all works well for you.
Unread 05-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Yes, I too can confirm most of your symptoms! I had to go to the bathroom all the time, my periods were horrible and once I had a 'surprise' period in February of this year my MD suggested an endometrial biopsy. Then fibroids were diagnosed and it all made sense. Last weekend, I got my period and gained 6 (yes, six) pounds in 36 hours! So glad I had the daVinci surgery last week. I never had much pain luckily and I am sorry all of you had to go through that. Maybe I just don't feel it because I certainly didn't need those prescription painkillers that were prescribed after the surgery.
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:16 AM

(((Jae)))

Have you talked to your doctors about trying other options if you are unhappy with your current regime? The Mirena Coil might be an option or even a different birth control pill. Some women have used Lupron successfully.

Surgical options could include a myomectomy, UFE, or an ablation.

We do have a lot of information about fibroids in our Resource Database you might want to read through before your next doctor's appointment.

Hopefully you hear back soon about the MRI and which options your doctors suggest for you!

in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register