Has anyone starting light jogging? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone starting light jogging? Has anyone starting light jogging?

Unread 08-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Has anyone starting light jogging?

I am almost 9 weeks post op from surgery (ovaries and all) has anyone done any light jogging? I started a few days ago. I think my Dr said 8 weeks ok to start back. I am a runner and am getting back in the groove. Just don't feel too good today after the short run. Anyone else running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Re: How much is too much (work-related) after surgery?

I haven't run but stairclimb an hour a day and started doing this at just under 3 weeks post op approved by my surgeon. He didn't discourage it but just said not to start where I left off because I would get "tired". I argued with him because he doesn't understand what I am like. It didn't make me tired in the least. I think it helped me mentally because I was getting depressed not doing what I am used to. But physically although I didn't feel tired like he said I think he may have been right about not starting where I left off. If I go to hard or intense I notice some cramping at night or maybe a little more problems getting comfortable enough to sleep.
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM

knttr:
That makes me feel better. I am having some cramping on my right side where my ovaries used to be (probably stitches etc.....no telling) and I think it's because I overdid. It is SO hard to take it at a slower pace. Before surgery I was running 6 miles a day. I have been walking 3 a day, brisk walks) for a few weeks now. at almost 9 weeks post op I Thought my body would be more ready to run. With the cramping....I guess not. Bummer bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2010, 09:07 AM

We sound almost exactly alike. I was power walking 3.6 after a week and my surgeon figured out he was not going to be able to limit me in activity like what he wanted he was very explicit in saying that if I bled bright red blood to sit down. If it continued after an hour (to bleed bright red) and I called him he would not be happy. I believe he said "honkerblonkED" If I push way too hard the drainage comes or is a little pink towards afternoon so I know to cut back for the following day...if I feel like it Yes the whole thing is a Bummer bob.
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Re: Has anyone starting light jogging?

Not feeling well, pain, cramps, bleeding, etc. are all ways our body can try to be telling us we are over doing it. Trying to rush one's recovery can have negative consequences such as even slower healing, ripped stitches, formation of adhesions that can cause you issues down the road even if it doesn't cause you problems now, and more.

Regardless of the type of hysterectomy, at least one organ was removed from the body. This entails severing blood vessels, cutting ligaments, possibly cutting muscle, handling/moving/rearranging body parts that normally never see the light of day, etc. etc. etc. It is traumatic for the body and besides the obvious, inflammation issues can occur. Doing too much too soon can complicate the whole healing process and even create new health concerns for us.

Doctors do not tell us to take it easy, limit our activities, start back slowly, etc. just to make us suffer. They are trying to protect us from ourselves and give our bodies time to heal!

If you are not feeling well following new activities you have tried as you get back to your normal routine, it is a good idea to cut back a bit. Pay attention to any bleeding and pain. In all actuality, it can take the body 6 months to a year to be back to normal so try not to be discouraged if you don't feel totally well for several weeks!

As hard as it is, back off a bit and see if your symptoms improve. And don't hesitate to contact your doctor regarding the do's and don'ts and any symptoms you experience.

Unread 08-06-2010, 12:24 PM

I was so upset when my doctor told me I couldn't exercise for about 8 weeks after surgery. He probably tells all his patients the same thing but should consider the physical shape of each individual.
I started to walk on the treadmill at 6 weeks but will not go back to strength training for another 2 weeks. I agree you fell so much better when you are moving but we all know our own bodies
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Prior to surgery, I walked briskly daily 2-5 miles for many years. I am now 6 weeks out and whilst I could walk 1/2 mile a day carefully even the first week, when I went back to our trail, which is bumpy, I realised that the walking was not tough, it was anything bouncy or bumpy.

I am walking farther & faster each day, but still not back to normal. A couple of weeks ago I walked a 2 mile loop and it was at least a half mile too long, I spent the rest of the night reclining.

My Doc said I could do whatever felt good; since I had stage IV endo all over my insides, I think that is why I still have pain & swelling & tenderness in sitting up and movement

Listen to your body and do what feels okay for you, but remember, you might not know until you are done that you have overdone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register