day one | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:38 PM
day one

Had the day Vinci surgery yesterday. Dr.said it went well. He said by uterus was quite large and had to be cut into several piece in order to get it out. Came home late morning today feeling not too bad but I am having a lot of pain around the upper left incision tonight. Would really like to have a bm. Hoping stool softrner helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2011, 05:09 AM
Re: day one

I'm glad everything went ok. Don't be surprised if a BM doesn't happen for a couple of days. The anesthesia and pain meds will cause constipation. After my surgery I took 3 stool softners a day, two at night and one in the a.m., increased my fiber intake. After about 3 days I took some milk of mag. and it worked wonders. I recommend having it on hand in case you have a difficult time. I wish you the best!!
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:13 AM

Hey - I had the da Vinci a week ago yesterday. I don't know what kind of pain meds they gave you, but some of them can cause constipation as a side effect, so watch out for that. I was feeling really good once the grogginess of the anesthesia meds wore off . . . so good that I decided I needed to stop my pain meds b/c I was afraid I'd do too much. To my surprise, I didn't really feel any different. So you may be able to wean yourself off pain meds earlier than you think - but don't be a martyr. Take them if you need them.
As far as the BM - I was super nervous about this, too. It did take several days, and any discomfort I had I largely attributed to that. My dr. suggested miralax, which I put inside grape juice for a double whammy. Couldn't taste it at all. I did that two nights in a row. On the second night, I also had two cups of coffee, which tends to get things going for me. The final kicker was a trick my physical therapist sis taught me - put your feet on a small footstool in front of the toilet. The angle apparently allows things to, well, to slide right out w/o pushing or straining. I know I didn't want to have to do anything that would hurt after the surgery, and that position seemed to do the trick.
Best of luck! Your biggest problem may be keeping yourself from doing too much too soon, as the da Vinci had me feeling pretty good pretty fast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Feeling better today. Getting the bowels moving made a huge difference. Only taking ibuprofen for pain. Had my ovaries removed too and think I have started having major hot flashes today. Guess I have to call the doctor on Monday and see about some hrt meds.
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:08 AM

For me I'm in my 5th week and I have to constantly remind myself to cool it. As you start feeling better your insides are still healing. Don't do too much too quick. Let your body heal. It's torture but I'm told its worth the wait.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register