Hello and Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hello and Question Hello and Question

Unread 07-23-2002, 12:16 PM
Hello and Question

Hi y'all!

I've been lurking around for a while now gleaning all types of wonderful information and support (by proxy) because I didn't have my "date" yet. I got it yesterday, 8/30/02, and so thought I'd post that along with my intro.

My name is Beth, I'm 35 and live in Cali. I've known I was headed down this rosey path since I was 18, when a doc diagnosed me with endo and asked if I wanted a hyster. I LOL at the time and said I'd like to wait 'til I decided if I really wanted kids...and to get married even! I am married to the man I met at 18 and we were fortunate enough to have 3 lovely children and a heck of an OBGYN to get them here. (I had to have a couple of surgeries for the endo to get pregnant). After my second child, my endo went crazy. I would literally be pouring blood during my periods through super tampons AND super maxi pads after only a couple of hours. While the pain wasn't un endurable, it's always been pretty awful. Since my 3rd child, though, the pain has been pretty awful. In May, I thought I had an appendicitis because my right hip/side was killing me non-stop. Well, that pain has now radiated to both sides and several spots in my abdomen, and has brought with it a wicked case of irritable bowel syndrome. It just won't let up! arg. So, because of these symptoms, my new GYN (we moved. Sob) is suited up and ready to take it all. I had originally hoped to keep an ovary, but with all the research, don't think that's the best option for me. So, 8/30 I will be having a LAVH BSO with apendectomy.

I'm a little nervous, of course, and even moreso since I got the date (oooooh! Reality!), but I honestly just can't wait for this insanity to stop. I do have a question though...has anyone else experienced severe "nesting" before their surgery? I have this insane urge to clean, cook, complete my will revision, (read: get my affairs in order), before the surgery. I suppose it's because I don't want to worry about anything for those 2-8 weeks post op. but this seems crazy! Tell me I'm not nuts! LOL <VBG>

So glad to be here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Hello and Question

Beth,

Sounds like a good plan. Hysterectomy is thought to be the best option for endo, but you should know it is not a guaranteed cure in 100% of cases. My friends with endo say you need to excise all the endo sites , and that you need a doctor experienced with that.

You might want to check out www. obgyn.net. There is a message board there devoted to endo sufferers. They could even suggest a doc in California.
Unread 07-23-2002, 02:34 PM
Nesting

Beth,

It sounds like you are comfortable with your decision of your LAVH BSO. It is alway good to go into surgery with a good frame of mind.

As far as your nesting, cooking, clean, affairs in order...yes that does happen to many of us. I was also the same way. It is good to prepared some meals and freeze them for dinner for the family. Make sure that you get your princess room in order with the things that you will need during your recovery..books, magazines, music, etc. Hopefully your family will also be able to help you out.

Remember to , , and after your surgery.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2002, 03:33 PM
nesting

YES - I found in the weeks prior to surgery I was nesting like crazy - and I don't even had kids! The day before surgery I vacuumed the entire house - including baseboards, laundry room, utilitiy room. . . Getting your main recovery area comfortable and pretty (I used fake flowers) is a nice idea, as is cooking ahead if you like cooking. I also found myself trying to get the PERFECT comforters for the guest room, as my mom was coming for a week, and I must have bought and returned 3 sets because I just couldn't decide which looked best.

It's normal to have these instincts crop up, I think - I'm not usually quite this domestic.
Unread 07-23-2002, 07:49 PM
Beth,

I too felt a huge nesting instict kick in, just like I did when i went in to have my son, scrubbing baseboards, windows things I never even think about usually, not much of a homemaker anymore!

I too did a will the night before my surgery, I thought what if I am that one in a million? Better to have a handwritten will than no will at all.

I think these are fairly normal feelings, you are not alone. I am four days post op and feel wonderful. You will to... best of luck

Lana

LSH 7/19 kept cervix and ovaries
Unread 07-23-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks ladies!

That's so good to hear! I feel like I just have to have "everything" done and I'm driving myself a little crazy. I know I can't though, so guess I'll do my best and take some time to read, *pick up my kids (since that will be a big no no!), and fluff up the "princess room"!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register