2 1/2 weeks - you're all set ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 1/2 weeks - you're all set ? 2 1/2 weeks - you're all set ?

Unread 01-04-2006, 08:09 AM
2 1/2 weeks - you're all set ?

HI all,
I'm feeling a little abandoned by my surgeon, here is why- I had SAH on Dec 15th. Jan 3rd I saw the surgeon. She snipped some stitches that were sticking out of my incision, then examined me and said "your all set". She said she doesn't need to see me anymore.
I expected , based on the postings I read from other women here, that she would see me in 6 weeks or at least want to see me before I went back to work.She said "just let me know when your ready to work and I'll send you the form". I am uncomfortable with this because my incision is not even healed yet. I was so surprised I forgot to ask 1/2 my questions. I guess the mature response would be joy, and I should be able to tell myself when I can go back to work. But my boss is a slave driver and my husband doesn't have a job -so I feel pressure to go back ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 08:25 AM

I went to my doctor in two weeks and at 6 weeks..tah on aug12th
Unread 01-04-2006, 08:28 AM

Bean1959
I'm so sorry your dr has taken this approach. I would feel just like you do now. She has left you to make a lot of decisions about your recovery that most of us feel should be supervised by your dr. Did she give you any guidelines for other activities or is she saying she thinks you're ready to just resume everything?

You will have to make a choice here about your care. We all have to be proactive IMHO with our care and pay attention to what we feel in our own hearts is right for us, but this is going to be especially true for you since your surgeon has abdicated her responsibility toward you. You could call her back and tell her you aren't comfortable with this and feel you still need to have her input on how you are healing until the process is completed. You could also go to your primary care physician if you have one you feel confident in and ask them to please help you as you complete your healing process.

You have many good resources here on the site, but we can't take the place of a personal physician if medical questions come up. I hope you will continue to take very good care of yourself and not let this rush you into going back to work. I would guess you are no where near ready to return to work. You are very early in your recovery and need to give your body the time it needs. Be sure you read the Checkpoints and the Post-Op Articles to help you understand what to expect as your recovery progesses. There is a lot of information there that might help you as you go. Please don't hesitate to call this dr back if you have concerns about your recovery. I hope it all works out well. Let us know if we can help.
's,Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 08:38 AM

Hi!
I had the same experience with my Dr. I had LAVH 12-6-05 and I saw her for my 2 wk post op appt. and she said "I'll see you next Nov. , call if you have any questions or concerns".
I was confused too because of what I had read here as well. I have had a really good recovery so far, so if I feel I need to see her I'll call.
All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 01-04-2006, 10:57 AM

Thank You for your responses, My Surgeon only said no lifting, no sex,and don't put anything on the incision. As far as everything else she said "listen to your body". I will see how it goes, and if anything scares me I'll call for an apointment.
Thank You again, you made me feel better.
Unread 01-04-2006, 02:36 PM

Can you see your OB/GYN for support and follow up? My GYN did my surgery and he has encouraged me to take the full 6 weeks. However, like you, I have an unemployed hubby at home and am not yet eligible for vacation or sick time as I have only been at the job for 2 months prior to surgery. This short term disability does not financially cut it! I would call your GYN for support! Good luck!
Unread 01-04-2006, 05:54 PM

i thank my lucky stars for my GYN. he saw me at 1 week, 6 weeks and then again next month for weight gain monitoring. at 72 years old, he treats all of his patients like family and has treated generations of women who continue to refer patients to him. he could really teach other doctors on how to be more kind and understanding of their patients' concerns.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register