New diagnosis of type 2 diabetes after TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New diagnosis of type 2 diabetes after TAH New diagnosis of type 2 diabetes after TAH

Unread 08-04-2006, 12:39 AM
New diagnosis of type 2 diabetes after TAH

I recently had a tah,bso with removal of cervix on 7/17/06. I was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and was wondering if it was somehow related to a hormone imbalance. Just wondering if any one else has had this occur after having a tah. I am recovering well following the surgery with the support of my family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2006, 02:04 AM

Hi Carol J,
I was diagnosed with pre diabetes after my TAH but I believe I probably have had it for a while as it takes some time to develop. All the information about diabetes that I have read so far doesn't mention hormones as a cause or risk factor.Is there a Diabetes Educator where you live that you could ask? I have found this web site helpful you can post questions for the Diabetes educator www.diabetesaction.org
Unread 08-04-2006, 09:31 PM

Actually, your hormone levels can be affected by or affect your sugar levels. I am hypoglycemic and my GYN told me that if my hormone levels are low, my sugar will flucuate more. I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist who would be able to treat your diabetes and hormone issues, and let you know if there is a connection between the two for you. And if at all possible, I highly recommend a Diabetes Educator as empowered as mentioned above. They can teach you a lot about diabetes and how it affects you. I took classes from a Diabetes Educator years ago with a friend and it was amazing what all she taught us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2006, 10:10 PM

Carol,

I am diabetic (type 2)and hormones can play a part in diabetes. PCOS a very common hormonal disorder amongst us sisters can pre-dispose us to diabetes and commonly they use Metformin or Glucophage to treat both disorders.

Adult onset is basically an enviromental form of diabetes
meaning that ( weight, smoking, family history, age, etc) make up a persons chances for this diabetes. In my case it is weight and family issues. So I have been following a diabetic diet and exercising more and my numbers have dropped. I did have to see a diabetic educator at my hospital. Medications depending on the severity can range from oral to insulin. Sometimes it takes more than a few times to get the right medication or combination of medicines. Your dr. should accu-check you and give you an A1C test to give
him more of an accurate look at your history. Alot of times type 2 can be controlled with diet and medications may not be necessary.

If you need anything let me know.....

Marti
Unread 08-07-2006, 04:08 PM

I just got a call about 2 hours ago from my GP. I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2. I was having problems with impaired glucose so they gave me a Hemoglobin A c1 test, which confirmed Diabetes........

I guess I'm in for a lot of Education on Diabetes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register