Back to Work Part-Time After 12 days Post-Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to Work Part-Time After 12 days Post-Op Back to Work Part-Time After 12 days Post-Op

Unread 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Back to Work Part-Time After 12 days Post-Op

I went back to work for a few hours a day as I am a paralegal and my job does not require a lot of physical activity (I am also the sole employee). I did ok the first day - it actually felt good to do something normal as I was getting depressed at home. Well, the next morning, my belly was swollen and my incision sites sore. Will sitting at a desk have this affect? Not to mention after the second day, I was completely exhausted and decided to give myself a break and stay home the third day.

Danielle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Re: Back to Work Part-Time After 12 days Post-Op

I returned to work 2 weeks post-op and was feeling the same boredom/depression from staying at home with nothing to do. I worked 1/2 day the first day, took the next day off then worked 1/2 day the next 2 days. 3 weeks out, I worked my first full day and was completely wiped out by the time I got home. I probably won't try that again for another week or two. I am lucky enough to work for very understanding and compassionate people who have given me the ok to work abbreviated hours until I feel better. I also work at a desk and have noticed sitting upright seems to put pressure on my abdominal area and by the end of the work day I'm ready to stretch out on my couch at home and rest. Remember to take it easy and don't push yourself too hard. "Rest is the key to healing" is what I've been told by a cousin of mine who had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. Remember - others may know that you've gone through this surgery but may not neccessarily understand how you are feeling. So, please take care of yourself.
Unread 02-26-2014, 04:45 PM

Thank you J0912R - I needed to hear that. I know I appear to be ok and there is much pressure to return to normal activity (especially during spurts of energy) - but the reality is that there is a lot of healing going on in this body - physically, emotionally and mentally and it does not take much to send me back a few steps. I think I will space out my work time by adding a full day of rest in between - GOOD IDEA - THANK YOU!

Danielle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM

I started back part time on Monday..2 weeks post op. I seem to peter out after about four or five hours. I sit at a desk also and today I had lots of abdominal pain and back pain. I may try once of those back patches while at work tomorrow. Its a slow process indeed. I have to lay down as soon as I get home to rest.
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:15 PM

I am a college instructor and I went back at 12 days post-op, mostly because I'm teaching two 8 week classes that will end in a couple of weeks. But I am still starting with half days. The first day was the hardest, I came home and took a nap! Day two was easier, and today (day 3) I had incredible energy, but still stuck to my guns and went home after 4 hours.

I didn't have a lot of swelling, but I did have some. But my job consists of a mixture of walking and sitting, and I think that makes a difference. Just start slow. Walk around from time to time if you can, and don't forget to drink plenty of water. I went too hard on my first day, was dehydrated, and even though the hours were short, I was wiped out.

Wishing you all the best to you!
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM

I am heading back to work next week on light duty and want to schedule 2 days the first week, 3 days the second and then be back to my regular 4 days per week. I work 10 hour days so I think this will probably work fairly well. Good luck and try not to overdo it.
Mel.
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:39 PM

I also started back to work part-time this week, at 11 dpo. The first day went ok and I stayed 3 hours. The second day I felt much worse after only 2 hours at work- lots of pain in my left side and spent all afternoon on the couch with two heating pads that didn't help too much. It's tough. I'm a psychologist at a university so I teach as well. I've been trying to go in and teach my classes mostly, but even that has been hard on me. I'm headed in again tomorrow for a 3 hour class but will be taking Friday off. I had planned to return full time next week, but will like be keeping it at part-time.
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:48 PM

I went back and worked 1/2 days at 8 & 9 days post-op (thursday/friday) then the weekend and full days starting 12 days out. So far so good, some slight discomfort while getting up or down, and I'm not exactly a bundle of energy, but it feels good to be back. And not constantly worried about when the next bloody tidal wave will explode in my pants. Have taken my emergency clothes home and everything, yay!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register