New and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and scared New and scared

Unread 04-30-2006, 01:17 PM
New and scared

Hello everyone. I have a tah with removal of ovaries
(honestly don't know about the cervix} scheduled for
june 1st. At this point I am very scared and nervous from all that I have read, Seriously thinking about just dealing with the pain and bleeding. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2006, 01:37 PM
New and scared

hi Angeleyes,

to Hystersisters.

What is the reason for your hysterectomy? We can give better support if we know that. Have you researched to see if there are any optional treatments?

I am glad you found HysterSisters. We can help with the research, preparations and recovery. We also love passing out cyberS and encouragement.

I hope you enjoy the site.

s,
Kay
Unread 04-30-2006, 04:06 PM
New and scared

A TAH would indicate you are having a total hysterectomy which would include your cervix. Don't get discouraged by the bad stuff you read. Most women get through the surgery just fine. Women that have bad experiences tend to write more, but they are a small percentage. Women with positive experiences just get on with their lives.

I had my surgery a year ago. Everything went fine and I'm so glad I did it. The pain, bleeding and everything else are all gone. If I had to do it over again I would in a heartbeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2006, 04:12 PM
angeleyes

I can understand your fear...I am scheduled for July 5th and postponed mine once already, because I was afraid. Most of the stories here have been positive ones...frankly, I can't wait to be done with it. My stomach looks pregnant from enormous fibroids, I have pressure and constant running to the bathroom.

keep in touch...e-mail if you want to talk further.

Karen in NYC
Unread 04-30-2006, 04:12 PM
New and scared

Hi Angeleyes,

In my opinion, It seems like maybe you need more time to absorb the news of needing a hyst. I might recommend you get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. My 1st Dr. wanted to do a TAH and my 2nd Dr. recommended a LSH, a less invasive surgery. I got 2 varying opinions and you might also. A hyst is MAJOR surgery, so in my opinion, a little extra time to think things through might help.

If you are interested in keeping your cervix, I might suggest you ask your Dr. about a SAH (Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy). It is a similar surgery to the TAH but you keep the cervix.

Best wishes. We Hyster Sisters are here to help if we can.

Mary
Unread 04-30-2006, 04:25 PM
New and scared

Angel - there is nothing i can say that will take away from you being scared and nervous. but what i can tell you is what i went through and how thankful that i did and wished that i had done it 5 years ago maybe even ten. yes there is going to be pain but let me tell you that the pain isn't as bad as the cramping and the hassles of heavy bleeding and how long it lasted at least it isn't for me. I am 10 weeks out and still get tired and swelly belly but i read what the sisters say 1 year out and it will all go away. i won't kid you in saying that you "may" have complications but that is a risk with anything you do. walking down the street - driving a car - you get the point.....
but the most important thing is your health and that is between you and your doctor - get a second opinion if you feel necessary. most of all do what is right for you. but i am so thankful that i am on the other side of all that pain and bleeding.
best wishes and good luck!! i will pray that you are shown the right decision....
jaxwife
Unread 04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Reason for hyst

The reason for the hyst is endo, fibroids, adeno, and cyst on the ovaries.I have extremely heavy bleeding, sometimes 3-4 times a month. All my sisters and mother had theirs for uterine cancer,but they all kept their ovaries.Mom says I will immediatly begin falling apart and should not have it, sis said it is the greatest thing for her. Iwas supposed to get an abalation but my dr said I am no longr a canidate for it.this is actually my third opinion. Dr said as of now there is no cancer.
Unread 04-30-2006, 07:25 PM
New and scared

Angeleyes, I was also scared because this is a major surgery. Think about what is best for you because only you know that. My own personal experience has shown me that it gets a little better day by day. It was a good thing for me to do. Had TAH-BSO April 4th. Best wishes for whatever you decide to do. We're all here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register