DO urodynamic testing if it's suggested! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DO urodynamic testing if it's suggested! DO urodynamic testing if it's suggested!

Unread 05-15-2002, 11:31 AM
DO urodynamic testing if it's suggested!

Ladies,
As many of you know from previous posts, I have been having bladder testing done. My first test consisted of drinking 32 oz of water, then peeing into a "hat" to measure the output, then being cathed to see if any urine remained in my bladder. This was an uncomfortable procedure but I did not know at the time that the iodine they used to "disinfect" me was causing the discomfort until later. I burned all day and especially after peeing.
I still had quite a bit of urine left in my bladder.
The next test was today. I was TERRIFIED and DREADING IT! I was asked to empty my bladder then was cathed. This cath was MUCH smaller than the first one. I also mentioned to the nurse about the terrible burning I had from the last test. And she said she would use something other than iodine. It was much better! This cath was smaller than the last and was hooked to a an IV bottle filled with sterile water. Inside this tiny cath was a sensor to see if I had bladder spasms during the test. They started to slowly fill my bladder with the water and told me when I felt an urge to go, to push this button I was holding. I was connected to a computer BTW> And then the nurse watched me cough. No leak. Now wait until I would start looking for a bathroom. Push the button, cough. No leak. Now wait until I have to go pretty bad. Push button and cough. No leak. Wait until I would rip nurses hair out to get to a bathroom. Push button. NO LEAK!!!! BTW. this nurse was cracking me up through the whole procedure! Everytime I would laugh she would have to make a note on the computer print out that I was laughing and not having a bladder spasm.. Results?????

I DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE BLADDER REPAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DR says my enlarged uterus is compressing my bladder and the hyst should help with the tiny leakage I get at times.

Moral of the story: Do the bladder test as it may save you trouble down the road. Once we realized that the iodine was the problem, I did MUCH better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2002, 11:39 AM

Hi, Tracy! Yeah--good news! Sorry you had to endure those tests, but it's great you won't need bladder repair. Thanks for posting and letting other hystersisters know about urodynamic testing. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 05-15-2002, 12:31 PM
Wonderful!

I am so glad you don't have to have the bladder repair! Having to worry about two different organs at the same time would have driven me nuttier than I am already!

That is such good news!

s to my special sister!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2002, 04:35 PM

Hi Tracy!

That is GREAT!! I know you worried a lot about the testing and catheters associated with bladder repair. Now, hopefully you can relax.

As you know, I had the Urodynamic testing also. Unfortunately, I also had to have the bladder and rectal repairs. I agree, the Urodynamic testing is not difficult. The closest thing to pain I came was - the Urologist was filling my bladder at the same time the Tech was trying to remove the pessary!! Talk about bladder pressure. The Tech didn't realize the Doc was filling my bladder at the same time. Boy, but I did.

I also HIGHLY recommend doing the biofeedback on vaginal, rectal, and abdominal muscles. If this is suggested and your insurance pays - DO IT. It is not even uncomfortable and you learn so much about the separation of your muscles.

Again, congratulations on your good news!!

s
Rayna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register