Disappointed-Need Opinions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Disappointed-Need Opinions Disappointed-Need Opinions

Unread 05-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Disappointed-Need Opinions

I saw my gyno today. He said that if I want to have my cervix removed, I will have to have abdominal surgery as opposed to a LAVH since I had a c-section/scar tissue in the area. I am keeping my ovaries and I don't want to go through all of this and still have any form of a period, mini or not. Plus, as weird as this sounds, I feel that the majority of my monthly cramping comes from blood/clots passing through the cervix which hasn't expanded at all since I had my son through a c-section (not sure if this is possible though).

The reservation I have is that the abdominal surgery takes longer to recover from and I believe has a bit more discomfort? What do you think? I really really don't want mini-periods even if there is no associated cramping. I will of course discuss all of this with the doctor, but I value you ladies and your opinions on ths board.

TIA, Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Sandy, I am 4 weeks today from a TAH/BSO. I had 3 c-sections. This recovery is longer but not as much pain as the sections, IMO. Maybe I have just gotten used to pain (this is nothing compared to some of the cramps I had) or maybe too old to remember, but the worst part of his recovery so far is the boredom. I feel like doing things but I can't. If I do, I have discomfort. I only had PAIN pain right after surgery. It was painful at first to get in out of bed, sit on the commode, that sort of thing. But I was never in horrible pain that couldn't be managed. There are others on here that opted for the LSH or lesser invasive procedures and ended up with complications. There are TAH sisters who ended up with complications. You never know what is going to happen on the other side. I was fortunate enough to not have any infection or complications. I'm just bored and feel like a slug. But my family has been great and I have a lot of friends that call to check on me and run errands for me or just take me on errands. It's been kind of nice. Recovering from the sections wasn't about me, it was about the baby, so this has been kind of a treat, it's ALL been about me! LOL

Pamper the princess no matter what procedure you opt for! I have no regrets at all.

Best wishes!

Sandra
Unread 05-02-2007, 01:47 PM

I was concerned about mini-periods as well, since I will be keeping my cervix too. I took a poll on how many people have mini periods (if you type "poll mini periods" in the search bar it will show up). My doctor said he will "cone" out my cervix to remove any menstrual lining that may be in the cervix. He said he has done this to all his patients that leave their cervix and none of them have had mini periods! Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2007, 01:49 PM

Sandy, I had a c-sect. in Jan. of last year. On April 10th my dr. did a LAVH. She used the lap. just in case there were adhesions that needed to be removed before she could detach and remove the uterus vaginally. I really have had no problems at all. She also had to remove one of my ovaries due to a large cyst. But all in all, she had no problems removing everything, including my cervix, vaginally. I pray all works out well for you!
Unread 05-02-2007, 02:03 PM

Thanks everyone. Dr.'s office just called.....I'm set for my trip to the castle for May 23. Oh my gosh, that's 3 weeks from today, man that was fast! I'm glad though, I have a feeling it will be a long 3 weeks.
Unread 05-02-2007, 02:06 PM

Congrats! (i've always wanted to use the banana!) It will be the longest 3 weeks of your life! Good Luck keeping busy
Unread 05-02-2007, 02:26 PM

I appreciate your use of banana Laura!! LOL
Unread 05-02-2007, 02:39 PM

I'm had my 6 weeks post op appt. today and I'm cleared to do anything as long as I listen to my body. I had a TAH removed ovaries and cervix. I feel great-back to indoor cycling and the gym, as a matter of fact I'm auditioning to teach Step and Cycling tomorrow. I had 2 previous c sections and for me recovery from this surgery was a piece of cake compared to the Csects. The biggest reason for the difference with me is that I was in fantastic sahpe before this surgery-I never exercised before I had kids. I am the exception to the rule here and recovery is purely individual, but I do know several ladies who have had the LVH and they are far behind me in recovery. In general the abdominal surgery does require more recovery but you will still be dealing with after affects of anesesthia either way. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register