shaving before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

shaving before surgery shaving before surgery

Unread 01-07-2002, 11:05 AM
shaving before surgery

I am scheduled for a TAH-BSO (thanks for the abbreviation definitions!) on Friday January 11th 2002. I have a kind of question I feel a bit silly asking but.... was wondering if I should shave any of my pubic hair? The doctor is making a vertical cut but I don't know how far down he will be going.

I just found this site and ordered your book, hoping it gets here before my surgery. Just from the little I have read on this site so far I am sooooo happy to have found it. Thank you one and all. I have to reccomend the site to my friends who have also had hysterectomies or are having problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2002, 11:14 AM
shaving before surgery

Hi Susie, Welcome to a wonderful site where you can learn so much and get support when you need it. Please don't shave yourself. Women have been known to have their surgery cancelled because they shaved themselves. There's a chance you can nick yourself and cause infections pre op without even knowing it. If you need to be shaved, they will do it in the OR, usually done when you're asleep. Remember, the only silly question is the question you don't ask!. Continue to read the posts here or the pull down menus and learn as much as you can, remember, knowledge is power. Good luck to you in your upcoming surgery. Come by the chat room if you can and you'll meet wonderful ladies just like yourself.
Jan
Unread 01-07-2002, 11:14 AM
shaving before surgery

Suzie,

Welcome! You have come to a TERRIFIC site full of guidance, compassion, and information.

All doctors are different, my doctor did not need to shave me prior to my TAH, but if you read some other ladies posts, they did have to be shaved.

Only your doctor can answer your specific needs.

Wishing you an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2002, 01:45 PM
Shaving myself

Hi Susie! I had my pre op today with my dr and asked him that same question. He said that since the cut would be about an inch above the pubic bone that I did not "need" to shave any of the area. However, if I did "want" to shave, that I only needed to do so at the top of the area and that that would help prevent the bandages/tape from sticking to any hair. Which brought me to my next question of whether or not I had his permission to shave the lower part of my tummy? I was worried about the tape pulling hairs here too. He did say that was fine and that I could shave the night before. I was thankful for the other sisters help in that I'm glad I asked ahead of time so that I did not do anything that would delay my surgery or cause it to be rescheduled! I would call your doctor's office or ask the nurses what your doctor prefers. Hope this helped a little! Good luck and bigs hugs for Friday!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register