having hysterectomy for adenocarcenoma-scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

having hysterectomy for adenocarcenoma-scared having hysterectomy for adenocarcenoma-scared

Unread 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM
having hysterectomy for adenocarcenoma-scared

what is it with this adenocarcenoma in situ (cervix) anyway? Why do doctors freak out with this? they get you under the knife quicker than they would for cancer itself. I am 53-still menstruate. Spent two months in denial and fighting the hyst but now I found a good doc and I am having the hyst. But I am scared...of the recovery...being uncomfortable, not driving, not exercising. I work for myself so if I don't work I lose money. And we all need that now! I am going to try for single incision. Anyone out there have it for adenocarcenoma. Would appreciate all replies. Thanks. Amila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Re: having hysterectomy for adenocarcenoma-scared

Having a hysterectomy is hard enough but putting the c-word on top of it makes it that much more difficult to swallow.

I too was diagnosed with AIS (last September) and will be having a hysterectomy. I had a cervical conization last November and got clear margins on that, but the hyst must still happen. Was scheduled for February but it had to be canceled due to unforeseen and surprising circumstances. I will likely be having it at the end of September.

Depending on who you talk to, AIS is either early stage (0) or pre-cancer. Either way, it's not good and has got to go. The in situ means that it is still located in the place it started, it has not yet spread. Adenocarcinoma is one of the more aggressive cervical cancers, which is why treatment is usually swift. The recommendation is that the hysterectomy is performed once child bearing is complete.

Have you looked over on the Cancer board? There are several Sisters there who have had the same diagnosis as us. Hang in there, girl!
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Thanks for your swift reply. I will check the cancer boards. How long can I delay? For work reasons-you got to wait a long time! I am looking to do hyst in Mid Oct. Cone was 6/16 Any thoughts? Amie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2010, 02:47 PM

My gyn-onc was comfortable waiting about a year for me to have it done but I was not...cc was my 2nd primary cancer and I did not want it hanging over my head. BTDT and it was not fun! But since we had to cancel it (I am expecting) it'll be about a year anyway. I would talk with your gyn-onc about how long s/he is comfortable waiting.

I saw your post on the cancer board too, and wanted to add that part of the problem with AIS and adenocarcinoma is that it has a tendency to have skip lesions...when it spreads, it can spread to another area with no "trail" leading back to the site of origin. I think of it kind of like chicken pox...kinds of pops up randomly. It's a sneaky cancer.
Unread 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Oh-sorry to hear it was your second cancer-where was the other? I don't know if I believe that skip lesion stuff-I know they say that. My onconcologist did not mention that. And my primary OBGYN did not mention that. They talk more about residual disease-maybe the same thing. Well, good luck to you. Hope you feel real good soon. Amila
Unread 08-23-2010, 06:38 PM

I had thyroid cancer as well, was diagnosed when I was 24. It was supposed to be easy to treat and took 3 big surgeries over 18 months to get NED then another 3 for suspicious lymph nodes. Not a fun time in my life at all.

Residual disease is a problem with adenocarcinoma since Paps only pick it up 50% of the time. I just had a Pap and while it came back clear, I feel no more confident about the status of my disease than before.

Have you thought about getting a second opinion about whether or not to have the hysterectomy?
Unread 08-23-2010, 06:58 PM

Oh-I got a second and third and they all agreed. They all say hysterectomy. Check the boards here- they all recommend it. I wish there was another way. Maybe this doctor I am seeing Monday has an idea (he is a genius). But I expect the hysterectomy. I even saw an expert in this in NYC and she said do it. So despite all my fears and not wanting it, et. al. I have to. Any other ideas? Amila Sorry about your thyroid. Is it better?
Unread 08-23-2010, 07:05 PM

Yeah, my thyroid is good to go...just yearly checks.

Hyst is the normal protocol for AIS, I have found no research that says otherwise. It stinks...but having a recurrence stinks worse! I have been so thankful for this site and finding other women who have btdt. I bet you'll be able to wait a few more months until it works better with your work schedule. Good luck!
Unread 08-23-2010, 07:23 PM

I hope he lets me wait-no work-no money..... yours is in September? Well, good luck to you. Let me know how you make out.....amila (with prayers).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register