Hard road to recovery . . . | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hard road to recovery . . . Hard road to recovery . . .

Unread 08-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Hard road to recovery . . .

I had a vaginal laprascopic hysterectomy on the 5th. I had the uterus, cervix, and one ovary and tube removed. I was allowed home the following day, and for the most part I am only slightly uncomfortable pain wise. I have been nauseous (but keeping everything down) and for the last 24 hours I have been dizzy every time I sit or stand. My doc had me come into the ER last night so he could check and he found no "medical reason" for me to feel this bad. Now I get up today after the ER ordeal, to get my kids up and out with a friend, and I can't stop crying. I am dizzy and nauseous and have sat here crying for over an hour and I just want to know when I will feel better! I am only 29 and have spent my entire mensturating life in horrible pain, I just want to feel better.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Re: Hard road to recovery . . .

I am so sorry you are feeling bad! Could your painkillers be making you dizzy and nauseous? They made me light headed every time I stood up and if I didn't eat first and then take them, I wanted to throw up. You will feel better, but you have had major surgery and your hormones are liable to be wacky too. I also have only one ovary left and it took two weeks for it function again. Good luck and I hope your symptoms improve very quickly!
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the reply, it's not the pain killers, I stopped takin them on Monday, I have just been using ibuprofen for the incision discomfort. Logically I assume it's my hormones...my doctor has been really great about checking in with me and fitting me in to reassure me and himself(he is very sympathetic) I just hate feeling bad, and the tears just won't stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2.0 View Post
I am so sorry you are feeling bad! Could your painkillers be making you dizzy and nauseous? They made me light headed every time I stood up and if I didn't eat first and then take them, I wanted to throw up. You will feel better, but you have had major surgery and your hormones are liable to be wacky too. I also have only one ovary left and it took two weeks for it function again. Good luck and I hope your symptoms improve very quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2011, 09:02 AM

Oh I hear ya loud and clear! I had my daVinci on the 4th of August. Kept my ovaries but the other stuff is gone. I had to back off the percocets as I was dizzy and nauseous every time I moved. I cut them to one when the pain was more than farting and an advil could handle. I actually felt better. Mind you I am not a fast healer and am still doing virtually nothing. Nothing unless you count showering, moving from the bed to the recliner and getting up to pee for the millionth time;-) This is a great place to vent your frustrations, read that you are not alone and feel normal. My first 4 days post-op were terribly painful. My back, gas pains, horrible cramping and all the other joys. I burst into tears at least twice a day. Today I noticed the house needed vacuumed, perhaps a hint that my normal self may return? I was my bossy self giving out jobs to the family this morning. Be sure to drink your water, do the poopy protocol to get you "moving", rest and be nice to yourself because you went through a lot lovely lady.
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM

My first 4 days I was so dizzy. I couldn't get up without my husbands support. I also started for the first time in my life, to have a panic attack. Twice. Hyperventilated and almost passed right out! I just wanted to feel better! Oh and the emotions (and I still have both ovaries). Crying, sadness etc. I feel your pain hon. It sucks when you are in that place.
But it does get better. Remember that. I am at week 4 and feel SO good! Hang in there and be kind to yourself. What you are feeling is completely normal. It won't be long before you are better than you have ever been. Trust that.

((((((hugs))))))))
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Oh mais I like you! I too had panic attacks the first couple of days home. I actually had one the morning of surgery. I walked in, burst into tears and begged for drugs. I think they complied so quick so I would not freak out the other patients. If you are not sleeping at night be sure to ask your dr for help. I take one sleeping pill each night so no matter how rough the day I get restorative sleep. My dr said sleeping is critical to my healing.
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:25 AM

I think that may very well be part of the problem at this point. I have been resting but not sleeping very well at all. When my doctor calls today I will mention that and see what he says. I should probably just start some melatonin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosy1012 View Post
Oh mais I like you! I too had panic attacks the first couple of days home. I actually had one the morning of surgery. I walked in, burst into tears and begged for drugs. I think they complied so quick so I would not freak out the other patients. If you are not sleeping at night be sure to ask your dr for help. I take one sleeping pill each night so no matter how rough the day I get restorative sleep. My dr said sleeping is critical to my healing.
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. Please remember, you have been through a lot. You had surgery on the 5th of August? Sweetie, I was not as up and at 'em as you are! Please do not beat yourself up. You have had a hard time for years, due to menses issues. Please give yourself time.
I want to add that I was 50 and had both ovaries removed. I was surprised to feel a sense of loss- I obviously was past childbearing, but my doctor told me it is normal to feel a sense of loss because the idea of having both ovaries removed is so final. Hormones are really tricky, and I also felt tearful at times because my mother had died less than a year before. She'd always been there for me, and though I had a lot of support from other family members, I still missed that one person who had always been there before, the one who made my mere existence possible.. I get teary now remembering. Please know you can come here for support. You have been through a lot, but things will get better.
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Nausea can be caused by a lot of things after surgery--general anesthesia can make you nauseous and can upset your balance for days afterwards, as can blood loss. Some narcotic painkillers can also linger in your system. Your body has just been through a traumatic ordeal and it needs time to recuperate.

Be gentle with yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register