antibiotics/pain management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

antibiotics/pain management antibiotics/pain management

Unread 08-21-2011, 08:01 AM
antibiotics/pain management

I am very concerned abut my ob/gyn. She didn't prescribe antibiotics prior to the vaginal hysterectomy, and then went on vacation. Her office ignored my calls about bleeding/pain the following week, and when I finally saw the dr., at which point i had a major infection, she put me on antibiotics and told me to continue taking 3200 mill. of motrin for pain (she originally prescribed 20 Norco for the first few days and won't refill, saying that this is a minor procedure that shouldn't be causing pain). Then the antibiotic led to massive cramping and light, loose stools, and when I called for a different antiobiotic, she refused to change it, though according to the warnings I was supposed to stop taking it immediately. She also told me to just keep taking 3200 motrin and supplement it with tylenol.
I am in agony because of the infection and the antibiotic, and have taken myself off the motrin (my pharmacist said no one should take that much for 3 weeks), and still have the cramping, discharge, pain, and unusual bm. I feel like my stomach is a wreck, and the probiotics I'm taking aren't helping. I dont' know if I should trust the doxycycline's warnings about bad reactions and listen to the pharmacist, or trust my dr . . . but in either case, I'm in a great deal of pain and have to be back to work in 8 days, and my dr. really seems to be disregarding me. I still have anotehr 6 days on the doxycycline and see this dr on Tuesday, but am contemplating the ER just to get a different antibiotic, since she won't budge on it and I'm getting scared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Re: antibiotics/pain management

Thanks for your support and advice. I called my ob/gyn yesterday morning and begged the triage nurse to have the dr. put me on another antibiotic because by that point I had 4 of the "seek medical attention immediately" symptoms and a fever. When 5 pm passed with no call or new antibiotic, I went to the ER, and they said it was very good I came in when I did, hooked me up to an IV and got fluids in me, ran tests, changed my antibiotic, and told me to not exceed 800 mill. of motrin.
Here's the rub--my job insists that my return to work form come from my ob/gyn surgeon, so I have to see this awful dr. at least once more, and am dreading it. I honestly think I could have been in serious danger if I hadn't stopped taking the motrin altogether on Sat. and the bad antibiotic on Sunday, and thank you all for your help. I see the dr. in a few hours and don't know how I am going to remain calm after what I've been through.
to others--PLEASE seek immediate attention if your ob/gyn isn't listening to you. Also, check the sites that have ratings/comments on drs. long before your surgery--I didn't until after the surgery, and unfortunately for me and others, this ob/gyn has a history of this kind of 'treatment'.
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Oh my goodness...I am so sorry you had to go through this...Glad you're back on the right track now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2011, 12:58 PM

You don't owe it to the doctor to remain calm; he or she is due for a royal chewing out for being either so ignorant or irresponsible. I'd recommend finding a new gyn after this, and filing a complaint with your hospital.

Best of luck to you; I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register