Doc and I discussed keeping ovaries or not... - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doc and I discussed keeping ovaries or not... Doc and I discussed keeping ovaries or not...

Unread 05-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Doc and I discussed keeping ovaries or not...

I am 47 but my FSH was a very low number. In fact, my gyn sort of laughed and said, "Oh, you are still fertile." I'm going to assume that means I am no where near even perimenopause.

Nevetheless, she is still suggesting that I have the ovaries removed.

There is no history of ovarian cancer in my family on either side. So, I don't know what her reasoning is. But, I have said...if they are NOT healthy, they can go too.

Cynthia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 07:31 PM

My R one is going bye-bye since it may be malignant. If it's malignant, then everything goes and I don't have to decide.

Now I'm leaning toward keeping things if they're healthy. I just got a book today by Dr. C. Northrup and she advises keeping healthy equipment. Now what the heck should I do?
Unread 05-01-2007, 08:10 PM

Love2Quilt - if your R ovary isn't malignant but still kind of unhealthy - could you not hang on to the healthy one?

Apparently one can do the job of two.

Is everything else healthy?

Great piece of advice I heard from my long-ago dentist, and I think it applies to every med person: "I am the expert - but you are the boss."

hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 08:43 PM
For SandySk8tr

I too am undecided on ovaries. I will be 50 in Oct. Not sure what condition they are in. I have mild mood swings, very painful periods and now pain in pelvic area most of the time, heavy bleeding. This decision feels like a ****ed if ya do ****ed <oops! please do not attempt to override the site censor!> if you don't choice.
Let me know what your dr says. I have a "questions" appt with my surgeon this Thursday. Ovaries is number one on the list!
dc
Unread 05-01-2007, 08:56 PM

Hi Arly.

My R ovary has a dermoid and a second tumor of solid consistancy with septations. There is no ascites in my ab. so doc thinks chances are in my favor. Due to the mass it needs to come out.

I'm really leaning toward keeping my L one and now re-thinking getting old utie out as well. I prob. have mild adeno -- only 2-3 days of passing large clots, and mild cramping off and on during the month. Jeez, my migraines are sooo much worse but I'm not having my brain removed (at least not yet.)

I've been back and forth -- back and forth -- and just when I thought I was going for broke, now I'm back to waffling again.

The problem is that there are no do-overs in getting a hyst. I can't change my mind and say, "Hey, doc, could you put it back in now?" My biggest fear is that since I'm not feeling that bad now that I'll have more problems after the fact.

My periods are still every 28 1/2 days like clockwork so I don't know how much longer I have to go before natural meno sets in and everything starts to atrophy. Unfortunately, my mom is getting dementia and can't remember when she entered menopause. She is 81 and has a pessary for a prolapsed ute. I don't like the thought of that happening to me either. Could you just imagine this scenario during foreplay: "Oh, hold on a minute dear, while I shove my uterus back up where it belongs."

I'm going to my pre-op with a huge list of questions and bringing research sources with me and I'm really going to pick my gyn/onc's brain. At one point I thought of leaving it up to his discretion when he gets in there to see how everything looks and let him decide. That could be a cop-out and my way of avoiding making the decision and I'd probably be angry with myself if I take that approach.

This is the hardest decision to make and time is running out on me. I just don't know what to do anymore. :run3:
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:01 PM

I've been going to <oops! hospital name removed for safety and privacy!> but I am now considering <oops! hospital name removed for safety and privacy!>. Gyn/onc comes very highly recommended and it's less than 5 miles from my house. <oops! hospital name removed for safety and privacy!> is 1 1/2 hrs. to go 20 miles on a good day. I love that doc but logistically it rots.

So Cal girls, let's get on the California thread in the Commuity Forum and start making plans for a get together. I would love to meet my "neighbors!"
Unread 05-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Love2Quilt - getting your FSH level done is a single blood test. It won't decide the whole thing - but at least you'll have one fact, an actual number, to factor into the equation.

As for the adenomyosis...I have no idea. Can it get worse over time? Maybe just have Dermit rehomed with a laparotomy and save the major stuff til later?

Good that you have lots of questions....I'll be interested in seeing what happens!

hugs!
Unread 05-02-2007, 12:57 PM

A really good book for you ladies is "Your Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, and Hormone Replacement," by Elizbeth Plourde. She had a hyst and unexpected ovary removal. She's done quite a bit of research on this subject. Of course once you read it, you'll never want to have your ovaries out, but I think it's a good heads up to what can and does sometimes happen. A really good fact I learned pre-hyst is there is a 1 in 80 chance of getting ovarian cancer in your lifetime. After a hyst while keeping the ovaries there is a 1 in 300 chance. So your odds do get a lot better with just uterine removal. Also when the ovaries are removed your chances of ovarian cancer drop by 80% not 100% as there are still cells that can survive and duplicate later on. New research coming out says that there is a 20% higher risk of ovarian cancer with HRT.

Personally, I think they are pretty amazing little things. When you read just how much they do for your body, it will make you think very hard about it.
Tara
Unread 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM

I am going to try to keep my Lefty. Righty has things growing on it that might not be in my best interests. It is the reason for my hyst. I'm considering the uterus just a party favor at this point. Will know for sure on the 18th. D

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register