TAH question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:53 PM
TAH question

I am haveing a TAH and the doctor is telling me that they are going to just keep me over night.

Is this normal? I was thinking that they would keep for a few days.

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Re: TAH question

I was told 2 days, but after the first day, the doctor asked me if I wanted to go home. I refused. I just did not feel ready.
In retrospect, I think that I should have. Why? I was recovering nicely, there were no problems during or after the surgery, I was not nauseated, and not in much pain. I was walking about and had taken a couple of showers by myself. My urine and pulmonary output was good.

I was bored the second day. Just go by how well the surgery went and how you feel.

I had to pay an extra $250.00 out of pocket for my copay for the extra day. I think that I would have been just as comfortable at home and saved money.
On the other hand, adult DD is an ER nurse and very helpful; DH helped me whenever he could. Friends made meals, family did the same. It just depends on your situation.

Also, the doctor came to see me every day. The surgery was late Friday, and he came to see me on Saturday. I didn't realize that since I stayed in an extra day, the doctor felt he had to see me on Sunday, too.
Anyway, I wish I thought to tell him that he didn't need to come see me on Sunday, just write the discharge papers.

It sounds strange, but I wanted him to stay home with his family. Maybe I was his only patient on Sunday. I didn't think to ask.

P.S. remember to ask your nurse for a binder to wrap around your stomach after the TAH.

I requested morphine for my surgery. I mentioned that morphine worked well for me at my last surgery, and that I got very nauseous after surgery, so please give me something for that.

I just remember everyone being so nice, my care was unreal.
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Thank you suziq55. I will see how it goes and will retalk it over at my Pre-op visit next week.

I will ask the nurse about a binder. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2011, 09:12 PM

I stayed 4 days for my TAH but I'm in Australia.
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:45 PM

I also stayed in for 4 days and I am in Canada. To be honest though, I could have easily gone home on the third day. My doctor insisted I stay in the extra day... I think he wanted to make sure I had a bowel movement before I went home.
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:52 PM

4 nights in 06. Its easier in the hospital than at home, but you can plan on being poked and proded regurally!Its nice to stay, just make sure you get up and walk the halls. The nurses want you to and it will better you.
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:05 AM

I guess that the number of days depends on the diagnosis, hospital, how your surgery went, and country!
I am in the United States, so our insurance companies tend to get us out ASAP.
Unfortunately.
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:43 AM

I had mine on a Wednesday and was released Friday. And I was glad to stay those days, as I knew that my DH would not be able to get the days off at work. Now as far as how I felt, I honestly don't think I would have wanted to come home the next day. But everyone is different and every doctor is different.
Unread 06-15-2011, 03:58 AM

I was out in 32 hours. I know, I am still shocked when I think about it. My doctor would have okayed me for a second night if I felt like I needed it. Later, in the post op visit, she did say that I was one of the quickest recoveries she has seen, most of her patients take 2-4 nights. Like suziq55 said, it all depends on how your recovery is going.

Considering I was walking (Nurse Ratchett, er Frances, made me walk 11 hours after surgery) and by peeing on my own, there wasn't much reason to stay -- unless I wanted to pick up some hospital germs. Sleeping in a hospital is notoriously difficult -- people coming in to prod and poke at you (or your roommate). Having a TV on constantly, even silent, is still distracting. I just wanted out.

Pain medication was oral (percoset) after 24 hours -- so that I could easily do in the comfort of my home. I will say the first night home was a bit difficult -- trying to get things "just right" so I could rest and get up when I needed to. Once DH rigged a side bar to let me help myself out of bed, things were better. I couldn't have done it without him.
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:05 AM

I checked in at 5:30 AM on Tuesday for 7 AM surgery and went home at 3:30 on a Thursday. I was offered Thursday night, but wanted to get home...so 2 nights, 3 days. There is no way I could have gone home earlier than Thursday based on how I felt.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register