Seasoned runner - with question - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Women Who Run

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seasoned runner - with question Seasoned runner - with question

Unread 04-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Re: Seasoned runner - with question

Hi ladies. I'll be at the 4-week mark on Tuesday (yeah!) and plan on riding a stationary bike at the gym starting tomorrow (with the okay from my doctor - no running for another 4 weeks). I'm excited to get back on some exercise regime.

How are you ladies doing with exercising?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Hey, KachinaBean! How are you feeling? I hit the six week mark this past Thursday. I am feeling much less tired. Thank Goodness. I'm taking Black Cohosh for these horrid hot flashes. It really helps! I was skeptical, yet willing to try anything. After the other woman's reply to your previous thread, I did not try to run again. I do not want adhesions! I've been walking, and using the stationary bike. I feel great, doing those two things. Good luck to you. I know you're anxious to get back at it!
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:50 PM

Hi Pamela! I am feeling pretty good but still get tired and a little sore. I went back to work today, mornings only, then full days next week. I didn't feel too great over the weekend, however, so it was tough today but I took a 3 hour nap when I got home - seems like I'm tired more than I'd like to be but I guess that's all part of the healing process.

How far have you been riding the bike? I can't say I'm a stationary bike person so I have no idea what to expect or what I can do. Do you pedal at a certain speed or leisurely at first? I know I can't run and can only do the bike at this point but have no idea what I should do and what I can tolerate.

Sounds like your healing is going very well - thanks for the tip on Black Cohosh! I did keep my ovaries but get night sweats and some warm flashes during the day but that's probably due to being pre-menopausal (I'm 48.5).

Have a great evening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2013, 04:38 PM

Pamela - Today was my first day riding the stationary bike at the gym. As a runner, I can't say I'm too excited about a stationary bike but it's all I can do for now so I'll take it. I managed to ride for about 25 minutes and put the bike on a 'hill' workout. Ha! Sure felt good to get my legs going again and I was purposely trying to push the limits a little bit just to see what I can tolerate. I wanted to ride for at least 30 minutes but the seat was starting to bother my butt (ouch!). I was lifting myself up at times trying to minimize how uncomfortable the hard seat was - and trying not to use my core to lift myself up - just arms. I also did some tricep exercises again trying not to stress my core. So far, so good! I plan to ride the bike at least 3x per week until I can run at the 8 week mark. I'm hoping to go 30 minutes each time kicking it up 15 minutes each week.

How's your workouts going?
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:23 PM

I had my BSO on Feb 20th and am now in surgical menopause, so my situation may be different. I was told I could begin running again at 4 weeks post op. I did not feel quite ready then, but did so at 5 weeks. I began at a slower pace and less distance. I think everyone is different, but I have been running only on the treadmill for softer impact...I initially felt a bit dizzy and had a mild nagging pain in my left side. I even had 1 episode where I broke out in an overall body sweat and got so dizzy that I nearly fell off the treadmill and had to lay on the floor for awhile before I felt good enough to stand up. Slow and steady, but now at 2months post op, I am running 4 days/week and have worked myself back up to 2 miles each time. I no longer have any pain when running...it actually feels really good...will be back up to 3 miles and back outside again real soon! Good luck with your recovery and healing!
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:36 PM

I'm 2.5 weeks out from LAVH and know I am not ready for anything yet, and have promised myself no running until cleared by my doc. But I'm intrigued by how the stationary bike to running transition went, and curious too, LG Aytch, if you've stuck with your 6 months, which would have you back to running... right about now?

Please give me something to hope for or some reality therapy. I'm an ultrarunner and xc skier, and I've been sitting still more in the past 2.5 weeks than I have in the past 25 years combined!
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Hi DDR! I wasn't able to wait six months, haha. I started running about eight weeks after my March surgery, although I didn't run too hard or too far. I was up to about 14 miles by early July, but I bagged an ultramarathon I had signed up for that month — I wasn't having any problems, but thought that might be pushing my luck. I haven't done more than 18 miles since surgery, though I'm signed up for a marathon in a few weeks. Overall I feel fantastic. In fact, better than ever. Absolutely no post-surgery problems of any kind. If I didn't have this long scar to remind me, I'd never know I'd had the surgery at all. I hope you're healing well! You'll be back to your old self before you know it. Just remember that you have all the time in the world ... your body will tell you what its ready for and when. Keep your eyes on the long-term goal of running for many years to come.
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:56 PM

You have made my day!! Thanks so much for the encouragement and the inspiring story of your own return. I am determined to do right by my body, but it's difficult to be patient. You've just helped a ton, though. Thanks!!
Unread 10-06-2013, 02:08 PM

Ohmygosh, I just looked at your profile and see your surgery wasonly last month. I NEVER thought I'd be running before that six months I gave myself right after surgery. When I could barely walk, running seemed like a faraway dream. Those first three or four weeks after surgery are tough ... but it's so important to give your body a rest after such an assault. There's a lot of healing going on inside. You really will be amazed at how quickly you start getting back to normal after just a couple of months. I had a hard time walking even when going to my six-week checkup. And my first run after eight weeks was just a mile! It was the most awesome-feeling mile I ever ran, though. Just take it slow. You've got that extreme running experience, which is going to help you like you wouldn't believe ... you'll whip yourself back into fighting shape in no time.
Unread 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM

I've really enjoyed reading the posts in this thread & they fill me with hope! I'm a long distance runner - ran 2 full marathons this past October and a few half marathons since then. I'm scheduled for an LSH on March 31st. I was hoping to run the Boston Marathon this year (have run it in the past & was at the finish line watching last year when the bombs went off), but am having the surgery instead. I will run it in 2015 & it gives me a great goal to think about while healing.

Since it's been a little while since most of you posted on this thread, I'm wondering if any of you have updates on how your post-hysterectomy running is going? I hope well!!

Thank you all for the inspiration!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register