How much walking after you get home? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much walking after you get home? How much walking after you get home?

Unread 12-28-2006, 07:48 PM
How much walking after you get home?

I will be confined to my upstairs bedroom when I get home from my SAH.

My wonderful hubby bought me a compact fridge, and shelving to put it on so I don't have to bend. I have an extra microwave and coffeemaker that we will set up also. With a TV; my own bathroom; and above all, my computer what more do I need for the comforts of home?

As I'll be pretty limited to walking from my room to my son's room and back again, for how long do I do this? Like 5-7 minutes every hour just to get up and move?

I'm happy that it will feel like a little apartment for me as I have a Golden Retriever puppy who just loves me too much and I think it's best I'm not downstairs most of the time when she's out of her crate as she's a jumper...we're working on her training, but I think it may take more time than I have before surgery.

So if anyone can advise me on how often to get up and move and for what length of time, I'd appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2006, 08:27 PM

Sounds like you've been doing your homework. Five to seven minutes every hour is great. You just need to get up and get everything circulating. Your room sounds great but I would go stir crazy. I can't be confined to one room. But you are safer there than with your puppy. I think you'll find that after the first week or two you'll be feeling much better and will want to be downstairs.
You and I will be having surgery on the same day. Keep me posted during your recovery. Soon you'll be a Good luck!!
Michelle
Unread 12-28-2006, 09:52 PM

Thanks Michelle! I just might go a little stir crazy, but like you said, it will be better in the long run so I won't have to worry about the dog. I think just getting out of the hospital and back to my own home will feel wonderful.

Hopefully, I will make it downstairs for dinner every night as we usually put her in her crate for a nap at that time.

Good luck with your surgery also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2006, 10:48 PM

Hi Dianne99

Sounds like you are ready to go! Your walking schedule is just right to start out. After my TAH/BSO, I walked about that much at first, just enough to keep everything moving. Gradually increase the time as you feel stronger.

Walking does a bunch of good things for your body - the improved circulation helps you to heal faster. The movement of your vertical body, combined with gravity, helps your bowel function. It's the first gentle step to getting your tummy muscles back into shape. I think that it also helps your lung function and your sleep patterns.

At the first opportunity, with your DH to help you, if necessary, and assuming that the weather is OK, get outside for a few minutes - that will make you feel so much better. At first you will want to stay really close - just on the front porch or the sidewalk, or maybe the driveway. My DH walked up and down our driveway with me at the end of the second week - I could only do one "lap" the first time, but it just felt so good to be out in the sun and fresh air!

Good luck with your surgery. Be sure to post up if you have issues or questions, or just to let us know how you are - this website connects you to so many women who are all waiting to help you and encourage you along. I am happy to be one of them. Hope you are soon.

Unread 01-02-2007, 01:07 AM

From what I remember, I was up going to the bathroom every hour on the hour the first few days, because of all the IV fluids, so walking around may not be much of a problem. Occasionaly I ventured from my bedroom to the front bedroom. That was enough until I began doing downstairs once a day and walking to the mailbox and back. Your body will let you know.
Unread 01-02-2007, 01:34 AM

Listen to what you feel up to and don't over do it. Very soon you will be managing short walks. They are crucial to get the inside as well as outside working properly again. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register