? About hospital room... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? About hospital room... ? About hospital room...

Unread 10-24-2001, 06:54 AM
? About hospital room...

This may seem like a shallow question, but we all know about the importance of rest following a Hyst. Has anyone with prior surgical experience asked the nurses at the hospital to shut your hospital door during the night? Might this be against hospital policy? Info apprciated...Rosa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2001, 07:03 AM
? About hospital room...

Rosa - I can't remember if mine was open or shut...but as many times as they come in each night it really didn't matter

Some women have taken earplugs to hospital with them...and probably some took those sleep masks...however, the hubbub didn't bother me much.
Unread 10-24-2001, 07:13 AM
? About hospital room...

Hi Rosa (I'm a Rosa too!) -

I asked the nurses to shut my door whenever they left, and my DH was in the room with me (private room highly recommended!) so if they forgot he shut it.

HOWEVER I was so drowsy from medication & anesthesia that I truly don't think anything could have bothered me. I mean, I fell asleep on the toilet!

But if for no reason other than privacy I would advise your door be closed.

Good luck.
Rosa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2001, 07:25 AM
? About hospital room...

I had a private room and my door was shut during the night.
Unread 10-24-2001, 08:01 AM
? About hospital room...

Mine was shut during the night and anytime during the day I felt like having it closed. They have a women's unit at the hospital where I had surgery and all the rooms on that floor are private...but you only get charged for semi-private! It was nice not having to worry about a room mate!~Carebear
Unread 10-24-2001, 09:42 AM
? About hospital room...

Thanks for the replies, Ladies. I recall my myo when I was in the hospital for five days and the noise in the hallway really bothered me. I will now make that adjustment!
Unread 10-24-2001, 11:44 AM
? About hospital room...

Not shallow at all, it was very important to me to have a private room, I didn't want to share a bathroom or be embarresed about passing gas. My door was shut all the time I wanted it shut.
Good Luck to you.
Unread 10-25-2001, 12:12 AM
? About hospital room...

Rosa,
I wish I would have known before my surgery, that you could request a private room. I would have at least tried if I would have known. The way insurance companys are so cheap I dont know if I would have gotten one, but I wish I would have a least tried. Because my wanted me to stay in the castle for 2 days, but I begged him to let me go home early. Because between my roommate, & the s coming in every 5 mins. I could not get any
I hope you have a better stay than I did.
Take Care
Unread 10-25-2001, 08:52 AM
? About hospital room...

Closed doors were OK at my hospital. Nice to keep them closed!!

My private room cost me 30.00 per night.... would have paid DOUBLE!!

Traci
Unread 10-27-2001, 09:24 PM
Behind closed doors

I had a wonderful private room (thank goodness). The first night the door was open, and they came in almost every hour to check one thing or another. By the second night the IV, PCA, and SCDs (leg pumps) were removed, and I could hear piped-in music coming in from the hallway. The music was very nice during the day, but I knew it would bother me when I wanted to sleep at night. I asked the nurses if the music gets turned off or down later at night. They said they had no control over the music and said it was okay to close the door. I kept the door closed at night and open during the day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register