Hysterectomy vs Oophorectomy?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy vs Oophorectomy?! Hysterectomy vs Oophorectomy?!

Unread 05-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Hysterectomy vs Oophorectomy?!

I just turned 40 in April. I had an endometrial ablation (thermachoice) in February and have continued to have left lower abdominal/pelvic pain. Prior to the ablation I had a couple of vag. ultrasounds at different times of my cycle. I had an endometrial polyp (not my first) and decided to go the ablation route as I'd had a d&c years before and the doctor recommened ablation. I went back on Monday for another ultrasound because I've not been feeling great lately. I've been downright feeling CRAPPY! I seriously think my hormone levels are jacked up BIG TIME! Come to find out the left ovary (where my pain seems to be) had a 3.8 cyst on it and the right ovary has a smaller one. We are looking at an oopherectomy at the least, but because I had cervical dysplasia I'd like to just get it all out so I don't have to worry about it later. Sounds aggressive, right? The doctor ran the CA 125 labs again and I'm waiting on the results, but I know they're not always accurate or a significant sign of cancer. I'm being referred to a GYN Oncologist because I was in a car accident when I was younger and had some serious surgeries and need a doctor who has a better idea of how to go in and deal with adhesions, scar tissue, etc. I will have a detailed conversation with him to discuss my options. I'm looking forward to talking to people and seeing what your experiences are as far as having a full hysterectomy vs other options. What are you experiences with Estrogen replacement vs HRT? My family history is pretty limited because most of the females in my family have passed. Any advice or info that you can give would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Re: Hysterectomy vs Oophorectomy?!

I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this but am very glad you're being referred to a gyn/onc. They are very skilled surgeons, and in your case, will also be able to best advise you regarding these decisions.

With your medical history, no, I wouldn't say it's drastic to consider a hysterectomy in addition to an oophorectomy. If you weren't having the oophorectomy, of course, there are less invasive treatments for cervical dysplasia, depending on the level of invasion, cell type, etc.: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001491.htm This is why it's great you'll be seeing a gyn/onc who is the expert in the area of gyn cancer/pre-cancer. For your appointment, be sure to write down any questions or concerns you have and take someone with you, if at all possible (another set of ears).

I also wanted to be sure you know we have a Cancer Concerns forum which you are welcome to check out, if you'd like. We cover everything there from abnormal paps to actual cancer, and there's a lot of great information which might be helpful.

Do your research, get as many opinions as you need, then do what you feel is best for yourself long term. Listen to that voice inside . . she's usually pretty smart.

Please keep us posted. We're glad you found us!

Unread 05-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Re: Hysterectomy vs Oophorectomy?!

Thank you so much. I appreciate your kind words and advice. As of now I am scheduled for a Right laparoscopic oopherectomy only using the DaVinci Robot on 6/8/15. The Gyn Oncologist will do a frozen section path while I'm under and at that point decide if I need more taken out. I'm a little nervous, but looking forward to being done with this and hopefully being pain free and problem free (as far as this goes) for awhile if not forever. Thanks again!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register