procedure questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

procedure questions procedure questions

Unread 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM
procedure questions

I am scheduled to have a hysteroscopy and/or a sonohystrogram to investigate why the lining of my uterus is so thick. Is there anybody out there who has had either of these procedures done? I am a big "wienie" when it comes to having this done, so would appreciate any experience advice from anybody!!
I'm new to this site - and am really enjoying it. I feel at home here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
procedure questions

Is a sonohystogram the same thing as an ultrasound? If so, those are a snap. They put that goo on your abdomen and press their little ultrasound-toy on you to get the image. They usually do a transvaginal too which involves a wand in your vagina which can be hard on the modesty. Also they pressed the wand into my fibroid which did hurt, but was bearable. (I am not a wienie though. I have a high tolerance for pain.)

I also had an endometrial biopsy which is done in the office, and just involves cramping/discomfort, slightly intense, for a few moments.

And I also had a D&C/hysteroscopy. I felt like they were making a big deal of a small procedure. They did it under general anesthesia so I had to have a pre-op appointment, and take a day off of work, and my husband had to be there, and you can't drive or sign legal documents for 24 hours due to the narcotic anesthesia, but it is a short outpatient procedure, well under an hour (mine was 20 minutes) and I really felt fine afterwards. I would have preferred a local but the anesthesiologist had a strong preference for general and I have a hard time fighting with the medicos. I don't want to fight/argue with people who are near my body when I'm vulnerable, but I sort of wish I had stood my ground on that one. Why be put under if you don't have to?

Photographs of my uterine cavity were taken during the hysteroscopy and the GYN showed them to me afterwards. They clearly showed the uterine lining and the fibroid bulging into the cavity.
Unread 01-12-2007, 01:35 PM
procedure questions

Thanks for the information! The sonohysterogram is a type of ultrasound, but they insert a "small tube" into your cervix, and then insert saline or some fluid into your uterus to enable the ultrasound pictures. I was wondering about the discomfort level......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2007, 02:59 PM
procedure questions

My 73 yr old aunt had a hyteroscopy last year. She left the hospital, went home changed her clothes then went to the gym and worked out for 2 hours. While this is NOT recommended I posted it to give you some idea of how she tolerated the procedure.

A friend of mine had the sonohystogram done a little over a year ago. She said while it didnt really cause pain, there was some discomfort during the procedure that lasted for a few days afterwards. She was only out of work the day of the procedure and managed the discomfort with Tylenol.

Remember that everyones 'pain' levels are different so these 2 examples might not be the 'norm'. Hopefully though your procedures will go just as smoothly and you'll be back to business as usual in no time!

take care
diana
Unread 01-12-2007, 07:29 PM
procedure questions

Dear bonga02,
I had a Sonohysterogram about a month ago and it was the first time I had it done! I don't want to scare you ,but I wish I had this info before I went !They suggested I take some form of ibuprofin about an hour before ,but I forgot; I don't know what ibuprofin before the test does! The doctor said I would have a little discomfort that is an understatement ;I didn't feel her put the cathader in but I felt like the probe was going to come through my abdomin at any moment I had such severe cramping across my abdomin and down my right leg during the test! I thought I was going to die! Sorry if I scared you I really didn't mean to! Good Luck!
Unread 01-12-2007, 07:48 PM
procedure questions

I had a hysterescopy along with a lap and D&C so mine were done on an out patient basis at a surgical center. I was under general anethesia for them. During the procedures I also had a lot of endo cauterized.

I do remember pain on my way home, and a little bit of discomfort for a few days afterward. However, since I had three procedures in one, along with the endo cauterized making it four procedures, I don't know to which procedure to attributed my pain!

I was sent home with prescription pain meds, but I don't remember using very many of them at all.

If you have questions about how your procedures will be performed, your doctor may have information you can read, or videos you can watch. My doctor has videos for each surgical procedure and I had to watch them prior to all surgeries, including an in office colposcopy!

Also, ask if taking pain madication prior to your surgery will be helpful. If you taken prior to your procedure(s), it can already be working before you are in pain.

Best wishes to you! s
Unread 01-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I had it done too.....

Hi,

I had it done recently and I too was EXTREMELY nervous about it. I had expressed my concerns to the doctor prior and she prescribed a valium for me. The procedure was uncomfortable for me- even with the valium, but WAY more tolerable! It really calmed me down so that I would "let" them do what they had to do. I went to work right after the procedure- and I did spot for a few days from the saline they put in. They ended up finding that I had a polyp in my uterus- so now I'm working up the courage to have it biopsied-

Hope yours goes well! Let us know how it was.

Becky
Unread 01-14-2007, 05:04 PM
procedure questions

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I'm supposed to call my doc tomorrow and give her my answer.... still don't know what I'm going to do! I can either have the procedure done at the surgical center for the hysteroscopy/D&C (one stop shopping!) or go to the office on two different times to have the sonohystrogram and endometrial biopsy. It kind of stinks being a woman! Thanks again....
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:19 AM
procedure questions

I had a D&C/hysteroscopy last year for the same reason, and they were trying to see if I had fibroids or polyps. My GYN does those under a general. I felt fine afterwards. I asked to not be given "happy" meds so other than a short nap that afternoon, I was raring to go. I had minimal cramping and by the next morning was driving around. Good luck deciding!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register