Week One And A Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Week One And A Question Week One And A Question

Unread 07-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Week One And A Question

LAVH was how I was going to have it done if it where possible 4 weeks off however my Doctor notice right off we could not go that route. So she did mine following my
csection bikini scar so am I okay with thinking my time went up to 6 weeks. To be honest I would like that and if possible a extra. One I went out to day we had a step my DH found for me to get in my truck (not drive) I was totally wipeout ofter just a movie and in pain so I know my body want be ready in 4 weeks. So how long are most off from work. By the way I did not have any discharge with my surgery at all. I do not know how she did it but I am pleased with her ways of doing things even nurses on the floor came into look. Oh on more thing I hate Hotflash Hotflash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2006, 05:45 AM
Week One And A Question

I went back to work on the 7th week out. It wore me out the week I did work, and then ofcourse I broke my ankle (pesky squirle and his acorns). I have not worked since. Most women I have seen on here could go back to work at 6 weeks depending on how well your recovery goes is how well you will feel. I cant beleive you went to a movie only a week out! I did not leave the house for 2 weeks. Just to afraid of something happening. The first time out was just a 15 minute car ride with my dh. I trust him I just don't trust everyone else out driving. I stayed so tense the entire time. Make sure you rest, rest, and rest some more. Drink plenty of water, and walk when you can tolerate it. Don't push yourself to do to much.
Jaclyn
Unread 07-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Week One And A Question

WOW - one week out and a movie! I'm impressed. I had a TAH and my MD said 6 weeks out - I am scheduled to go back for 1/2 days starting 7/24---both my MD and I figured that starting 1/2 days back (in an office setting) would give me a chance to ease back into things. I have a very generous employer and I am eligible for 13 weeks fully paid medical leave, another 13 at 60% of pay if I needed it (with proper MD support, of course). Hopefully you have an equally generous employer so you can listen to your body telling you when you are OK to go back (I know a lot of the sisters are not in the same situation and are forced back for financial reasons - my heart goes out to them).

Listen to your body, take as much time off as you can financially afford and your employer allows - because you only want to do this once, with no complications! Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Week One And A Question

I have two drivers right now if I need My DH and DD who is home for the summer. I was wipeout after the movie that is because I was nerves about people around me getting up in the dark and dumping it is the last thing I will do for awhile.
To give you all a ideal of what I do at work if you have a garage door opener I lift those along with car jacks the small one and sometimes tools bigger than meduim size dogs. I just am afraid of those. The other stuff is easy. It is lifting something to heavy to soon
Unread 07-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Week One And A Question

Hi bearkatsfan
I think you are wise to be cautious about returning to a job where there is heavy lifting. That six week mark is a minimum for initial healing time. I know when my dr released me he said not to go home and clean the whole house, but to gradually begin adding things into my schedule a little at a time. This has to be true of work outside the home I believe, especially when there is lifting involved. It doesn't make sense in my mind to think that you can go from doing nothing right back into a situation where you have to use muscles that have been resting for six weeks and this isn't even taking into consideration the incisions that need to be totally healed. Once you get to the place where you can't damage things internally there is usually still tenderness from too much activity for a while.
I hope you'll talk to your dr about your concerns and you might even need to make some arrangements at work if that is possible, not to go right back into lifting right away. Often drs will release patients with a lifting restriction.
I think one of the best things you can begin doing for yourself is walking. Listen to your body and don't push yourself. Just begin everyday to do what you can do without exhausting yourself or causing pain. It is one of the safest and easiest things you can do to begin to condition your body to be normal again. Good luck.
's,Rita
Unread 07-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Week One And A Question

I was scheduled to have a LAVH with 6 weeks off work. Once in surgery, my gyn discovered my uterus was 10 x normal size and hard and rigid, he had to convert to an abdominal 8" incision.

I too thought I would get additional time off work to make 8 weeks. NO! I was told 6 weeks. Upon the advise of our Sisters, I asked to return to work at 1/2 days. He let me!!!!! I went back fo 2.5 weeks at 1/2 days and let me tell you...... it was wonderful.

I was 8.5 weeks when I returned to work full days. I handeled it fairly well. To be honest, the stress was worse than being tired. And of course, the stress made me tired.

Wishing you the best in your recovery.
Unread 07-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Week One And A Question

I am hoping to drive this week but not sure i will be able to do it...and my GP says he will extend my 6week for 2 more weeks and longer if he can i'm going to use my short term disability...Heck i'm paying for it..lol...i dont feel ready for work and i'm starting on my 5th week Monday so I am trying not to feel guility about wanting to stay out longer....Hugs to you
Unread 07-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Week One And A Question

Had a LAVH/BSO on 7/3, MD said that six weeks was typical to be away from the job. I told her that I had another 2 weeks vacation after the 6 weeks and she said that was even better.....so I think from what I have read, most woman can go back after six weeks, but if you have a job that requires that kind of lifting and pulling, it may be longer. I guess everyone is different and you know how you feel, ideally it would be great to ease back with part itme or lighter duty. But with my job at the clinic it is either you can do the whole job or you can't resume your duties.....I am planning to be out for a total of 6 weeks of sick time and 2 weeks vacation...knowing everyone on the job is really angry about it doesn't help, but like our sisters have said time and again, we only get one chance to heal well and we deserve to honor our healing and our traumatized bodies! Good luck and don't rush back! Pat
Unread 07-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Week One And A Question

I'm supposed to go back the first week of August for just workshops, inservices, meetings, etc. That will be okay I think. That stuff will last for 2 weeks. The only thing I'm worried about is setting up the classroom - can be pretty physical and I don't really have any help. I'm new to this school so I don't know anyone. The kids don't come until my 7th week. I'm hoping I'll be okay then, but I'm sure my family is going to be eating out alot in August!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register