Still awake | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Still awake

2/1/11 was my hysterectomy. I came home medicated and was for the next several days. After getting off the percocet I have had severe insomnia. When I finally fall asleep it's only for a little while and I'm up again. My dreams are of me walking thru the mall all day so by morning I am exhausted. I asked my doc what to do. He said take Tylenol pm or something like that to help. I took that at 9pm and I'm still wide awake at 12:30. Has anyone else had this much trouble getting to sleep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Re: Still awake

It's not unusual to have difficulty sleeping during the weeks following a hysterectomy, from what I understand. My surgery was a little over 3 weeks ago, and once I stopped taking the pain meds I have had difficulty going to sleep and/or staying asleep. Just like tonight - I felt really tired at 10:00, went to bed and fell asleep, but woke up at 12:45 and can't get back to sleep. Some nights are better than others. I'm hoping as I get back into my normal routine over the next couple of weeks, it will get better.
Unread 02-18-2011, 01:14 AM

hiya, i'll be 6 weeks post op on monday. i had terrible trouble sleeping, i just gave into it at the end and just thought ok i'll sleep when my body needs it. now i seem to be doing alot better, had 9 hours sleep last night and this morning i feel good, always feel good when i get up it's has the day progresses that i'm ready for a lye down.
but really try not to worry about sleeping, the more you worry the more you can't. i think most women who have an hyster can't sleep but it will get better..............honest x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2011, 02:32 AM

I am 4 weeks post-op and have terrible insomnia. I have a child that has school in the morning, but it's very hard being up until 4 or 5 and then the alarm goes off at 6:15. Some days, I feel fine, others I feel like I'm drugged. Last night, I fell asleep no problems and slept through the night unbelievably, but that was the first time in weeks and then tonight, here I am still up at 4:30. I don't know how long this lasts, but I don't like it!
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm 6 weeks post op as of Wednesday and I'm still having trouble sleeping. My routine before the sugery was go to bed at 9:30 or 10 and up at 5:00 am. Right now I'm lucky if I feel tired by 12 and I finally fall a sleep by 4 or 5 and then i'm up again at 8 or if i'm lucky 9. The dr told me it was due to my hormones not being settled down right now. Hugs to you. May we all eventually get some much needed sleep.
Unread 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM

I'm on day three of recovery and after last night's dreams I'm off the Vicodin. Those dreams were seriously messed up! Two Advil seem to work every three hours. I might take a V at bedtime though. Walking a lot and trying to only take one small nap today.

I'm sleeping, but wake up right at 3.5 hours looking for the toliet and pain relief and then I go back out again for 4 hours. Sleeping on my back is really getting to me, making me sore on my bony shoulder blades. I feel like a turtle stuck upside down in the road at 3am...hate it. Was balling last night at the helplessness.

When even I try to use a pillow and go on my side, the vaginal cuff stitching scrapes on my insides. yuck
Unread 02-18-2011, 02:58 PM

Don't bother with Advil PM or Tylenol PM. All they are is benedryl and Advil/Tylenol. If you are having difficulty sleeping it is related to the shift in your hormones. benedryl won't help very much (if at all). I found the best thing I could do was talk to my doctor and explain how severe my sleep loss was. I also took melatonin to help me sleep. You will get through this period of adjustment, but depending on how severe your estrogen depletion is, it may not be for a very long time. I finally had to take neurontin for nerve pain, and only then did I get a decent night's sleep. If you think benedryl will help, save yourself some money and purchase the generic version at the drug store.
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amysuenolte View Post
2/1/11 was my hysterectomy. I came home medicated and was for the next several days. After getting off the percocet I have had severe insomnia. When I finally fall asleep it's only for a little while and I'm up again. My dreams are of me walking thru the mall all day so by morning I am exhausted. I asked my doc what to do. He said take Tylenol pm or something like that to help. I took that at 9pm and I'm still wide awake at 12:30. Has anyone else had this much trouble getting to sleep?
I did have insomnia, even worse than usual, but as of week 5 I'm sleeping well without anything but my Advil PM.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register