Questions on Fibroid 12-14 cm, "swelly belly" weight and exercise | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions on Fibroid 12-14 cm, "swelly belly" weight and exercise Questions on Fibroid 12-14 cm, "swelly belly" weight and exercise

Unread 12-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Questions on Fibroid 12-14 cm, "swelly belly" weight and exercise

In comparison to others I don't know if the size of this fibroid is "normal" or not. I am hoping I will have a smaller stomach once it is removed. I am scheduled for an abdominal (hoping to keep my ovaries). I don't if there are other fibroids. This is the only one to show up in an ultrasound. Surgery is 12/20.

Will my stomach ever go down? I have read so much about "swelly belly". I have gained weight will taking depo prevera shots, so don't need more weight.

Will I be able to do anything more than walking?

Will I gain weight, or/and is there anything to do to prevent weight gain or the "swelly belly"?

When will I be able to go up and down steps?

What will the first week be like?

Yikes! Help! Tell me anything I can do to make this better.

Today I left to get my hair done, and felt the familar gurgling sensation, too late. Had just put a tampon in during the last hour. Had blood all over my jeans. Had to call my adult son to bring underwear and clean pants. This can't happen too soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2004, 02:47 PM

The first week is just taking things slowly. There is some pain, but I liken it more to having just woken up from a day of strenuous exercise than that sort of sharp pain that I was expecting.

I think my largest fibroid was 11 cms, but there were 12 of them all together and they weighed 630 grams. I'm glad to get those rocks out of my belly. Some women have had larger ones, some smaller. In many cases, it's not the size, but the position that's the problem. Mine were mostly on the back of the uterus, tilting it forward into my bladder and pressing on my spine.

I remember waking up in the hospital and feeling my belly and being amazed at how flat my tummy was. I was so used to the little, hard bulge above my pubic bone. At the moment I still have the swelly belly, but that's just me. Some women never have that problem at all, some of us have it until about the 6 month mark.

Steps for me were fine. The first night home from the hospital (two nights there) I slept downstairs, after that I did the stairs once a day the first week, and then a few times a day after that. Going down, oddly enough, for me, was worse than going up. Luckily down was in the morning when I felt better.

Take care.
Unread 12-10-2004, 03:52 PM

Here are some "quickie" answers for you:

Size of fibroids -- they vary widely. I had over 30 of them, but they were all relatively small (.5 to 3.5 cm). My "monster" which had been softball-sized when my ds was born in 2000 had shrunk down, obviously. They couldn't identify all the fibroids during the ultrasound. You just won't know until after they do the surgery.

Your tummy WILL go down. Mine is pretty much back to normal, but the skin is still numb to the touch because the nerves are still healing.

For the first few weeks, you probably won't feel like doing much more than walking, anyway. Anything more strenuous could really injure you and give you a serious setback. Take it slow. This is something that can't be compromised!

I was able to do stairs IMMEDIATELY. They said just take it slow. I was fine. Some docs do vary on this, though.

The first week will likely be tough, but you'll get through it. The second week will be easier than the first, the third easier than the second, and so on.

For me, it helped to focus on how I was going to feel "after I was healed" rather than to worry about the hospital or the first week. I started saying to myself, "Gee, two months from today, I'll be having my six-week check-up" and other such self-talk. It really helped me visualize things in a much more positive way. If you spend your time worrying about your first BM or something like that, imagine how you'll feel if your first BM comes with no problem! (You will have worried for nothing.)

In other words, we're all different. Some women have almost no problems, some have many problems, and most of us have a few -- but we're all different. I have confidence you're going to do great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Hi,

I had 4 fibroids the largest 7 cm. A "normal" uterus waits 90g, mine weighted 350g. I had TAH lost one ovary due to infection. Why are you not keeping your ovaries if more than 1 fibroid?

I lost 9 lbs (probably lot of lost water) in the 2 weeks prior to surgery from illness due to an infection. Still when I got out of the hospital I had to wear drawstring pajama pants & went to Walmart 2 days after to buy some stretch elastic pants, I couldn't get into my regular pants.
1 week post-op, I had regained 7 lbs, but everyone keeps telling me I look leaner than before (mostly my face).
3 weeks post-op, I was fitting into my regular pants, but found zippers irritating so kept wearing stretch pants half the times.
Now at 6 1/2 weeks, I have not gained any more weight but I still get in the evening or when overdoing.

Exercise is walking only. Going up steps was fine straight out of hospital (OK'd by DR), just not too fast. I was cleared by DR this morning so I'll start exercising slowly and hope to regain my stomach muscles.

How is the 1st week? A whole lot better than pre-op, even with gas pain & constipation (not everyone get them). Imagine: no more endless bleeding & cramping, etc...

My DR asked this morning if I regretted having the surgery. The only thing I regret is not having it sooner, I feel great!!
Unread 12-10-2004, 05:48 PM

"Swelly belly" is a term that we have coined for the abdominal swelling that occurs following a hysterectomy. It has been explained by giving the example of the swelling that occurs in our ankle when we have a sprained ankle. There is a lot of work done in your abdomen and some swelling occurs.

Some women have abdominal swelling on and off for several months after their hyst, especially if they are on their feet a lot during the day. But, it won't go on forever. Your tissues will heal, and eventually everything will return to normal.

We expect that at 6 weeks we have healed 50%. And, complete healing takes 6 months to a year. So, it is important to rest with your feet up and follow your doctor’s instructions in regard to weight limits for lifting, etc. Taking good care of yourself in the beginning of recovery will lessen the total recovery time; and, hopefully, swelly belly will not last as long.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register