Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Bowel Prep

I'm looking over the notes from my pre op appt with my doctor. The day before my surgery I can only have clear liquids (Broth, Tea, Juice without pulp, clear beverages, Jello, and Italian Ice). Then I begin my bowel prep (Golytely) at 5pm the night before my surgery (2pm the next day).

Am I going to be up all night running to the bathroom? Although my nerves will probably prevent me from sleeping the night before whether or not I had the bowel prep I will definitley not have sleep now. I guess I will be hungry and tired by the time I have to report to the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Bowel Prep

Hi!

My only experience with bowel prep was with a colonoscopy a year ago. So I will tell you about that. For me, I was on the toilet almost constantly.. I didn't get a lot of sleep because I was nervous, and yes, I personally continued to be on the pot through the nite. But my friend had the same prep and didn't experience this... so I think it will vary person to person.

CC
Unread 12-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Bowel Prep

I had a bowel prep with a colonscopy and I was only on the toilet for about 3-4 hours.
My doc is having me start my prep at 3pm. I doubt that will be the reason I do not sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2008, 03:43 AM
Bowel Prep

I had a bowel prep the day before my TLH/BSO. Per the doctor's instructions, I began the first bottle at 10 a.m. and the second bottle at 2 p.m. I didn't stay in the bathroom with the second bottle as much as the first bottle. I was fairly "free and clear" by 4 p.m.

I was given some advice by an RN friend of mine that I think helped tremendously. No red meat the day before your bowel prep (because it tends to stay longer in the colon) and drink plenty of lemon-lime Gatorade to help replenish the fluids lost during the bowel prep. A nurse at the hospital told me by drinking the Gatorade, she had a easier time inserting the IV than if I had drank anything else other than that or water.

Charlotte
Unread 12-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Bowel Prep

When I had to do a bowel prep using Golytely, I was pretty much finished with the potty after a few hours. It's not much fun but it can be done
Remember to keep the Goylytely as cold as possible and have lots of soft wet wipes handy.

If I had to wait until the afternoon for surgery, I think that I might call the dr and ask if I could have a small amount of clear liquids in the morning. It won't hurt to ask and may help you I was once allowed to have a small cup of coffee ( no sugar or cream ) and a little water. But, please ask first.

Best wishes.

Unread 12-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Bowel Prep

Not only do you need the wipes, but also get some a & d ointment to apply before you start and reapply after each trip to the potty. This will save you from having a very irritated bottom. Make sure whatever drink you get that it is something you will never want to have again. I can not touch lemon/lime anything now. I would suggest too that you ask about having clear liquids the next morning since you have an afternoon surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register