I am scared regarding procedure tomorrow... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am scared regarding procedure tomorrow... I am scared regarding procedure tomorrow...

Unread 06-04-2003, 12:09 PM
I am scared regarding procedure tomorrow...

Hi,
I am having a procedure tomorrow in the gyno offce. He is going to clip a piece of the endometrial lining and send it for a biopsy(routine biopsy for endometrial cancer(to rule it out). He wants me to take 4 advil 2 hours prior to the procedure as he said there will be some cramping. Have any of you had this and what should I expect? Gyno says, I will be able to drive myself home shortly after...
Thanks,
Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi Diane,

You're having an endometrial biopsy? Is that correct? Why is he performing this procedure?

Just asking because I had one done after the internal ultrasound I had showed a thickening of the lining. My doctor explained that it could just be a hormonal thing but ordered the biopsy to rule out endometrial cancer.

The procedure itself doesn't take very long and yes, there is cramping. DO take that advil 2 hours before. I'm sure it would have been much more comfortable for me if I hadn't been a big dopey and forgotten to take them until I was driving to the appointment!

But again, the cramping is brief and the procedure is quick, too! I drove myself home immediately after the procedure. Best of luck!
Unread 06-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Hello

I am having the procedure done as I have been having my periods every 2 weeks for the past several months, plus I have a fibriod bigger than an orange plus a cyat on my ovary. The gyno said he is doing the procedure to rule out endometrial cancer.
Thanks for your reply. I will keep you posted.
Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2003, 01:16 PM

Hi:

It sounds like you may be having an endometrial biopsy. I had one done a month or so prior to my TVH to try and determine the cause of my never-ending profuse bleeding. Be sure to take advil or whatever before you go to the doctor's office. What I felt was a definite pinching sensation as well as some pressure when they suctioned out some of the endometrial lining. It wasn't unbearable, but I was glad when it was over. And I did feel some cramping for a few hours afterwards.

Mildred
Unread 06-04-2003, 03:06 PM

When I had my biopsy I did'nt even know they would do a procedure. It was just my first appointment when my problems started, so it was quite a surprise. I had no meds in me but it wasnt horrible. I had told the dr. how nervous I am about these sort of things so the dr and nurse made a point of talking and trying to distract me during the procedure which really did help. And yes I drove myself home directly after. I think I was traumatized emotionally more then any kind of pain since I was not expecting anything like that. Anyway, with some Aleeve or whatnot you will be fine. I myself did'nt have any cramping after just felt a little...yucky. I could have gone back to work but chose to be a "baby" about the whole thing and just went home and fished for sympathy (which worked by the way!!) Got dinner brought to me in front of the TV while sitting in my robe. So, piece of cake, you'll be fine.
Unread 06-04-2003, 03:12 PM

I've had this procedure done a number of times. Quite frankly, I didn't notice much difference between the times I took something for the pain and times when I didn't. What I experienced was pain that was like menstrual cramping during the procedure but it only lasted for a very short time. Seconds rather than minutes. I said 'ow ow ow' a few times. The cramping stopped almost completely immediately and was definitely all gone by the time I got to my car. It's really not a big deal and hurts less if you can relax your body.
Unread 06-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi Diane,

I've had two endometrial biopsies. With neither one did the doctor recommend taking any pain relief beforehand (which would have helped a lot!)

As the other ladies have said, it'll be a brief pinch, and you may have some cramping and spotting for a couple of days. But it's not too bad, really. As a matter of fact, I drove myself home from the first procedure, and with the second, I had it done during my lunch break, then drove back to work and finished out the day.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 06-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Cancellation for endo biopsy....

Gyno office called and postponed my biopsy until next Tuesday as he will be in surgery today. Now, I have to deal with the anxiety all over again including the weekend. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!
Diane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register