To bind or not to bind | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To bind or not to bind To bind or not to bind

Unread 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM
To bind or not to bind

Hi there I am three days post op TAH. I was put into a binder in the hospital on day one. I came home yesterday and feel so much more comfortable walking and moving around without the binder. Is there a good reason to wear it part of the day. I'm using an ice pack resting a lot and generally feeling good. Any comments for and against would be appreciated so I can make a smart decision. Thanks all and gentle hugs to all who are healing along with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Re: To bind or not to bind

I have a vertical incision and was not offered, or even told about, a binder. I wore some support panties to keep giggling to a minimum when I walked and in bed (for rolling over).

Be sure to ask your Doc if there's a particular reason you were given one, and if it was for comfort, then you're free to let comfort be your guide.

Good luck!
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Like avee, I have a vertical incision, was not offered a binder and never used one. Some women love them, some don't. I held a pillow against my belly when I wanted to roll over in bed. Other than that, I didn't find that I had any need for support garments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:55 PM

Check with your doctor to see if s/he wants you to wear one. If it's not required, then it's your choice. As it's been said, some women like it and some don't. I was given mine while in the hospital. I loved the support that it gave me when I walked, although I took it off when I slept or sat too long.

Lots of (((HUGS)))
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM

I agree with wandatd. Check with your doctor. I went a little OCD on my prep and purchased one. My doctor's point of view was it was not necessary. He was clear that could wear it for a a few days if I felt I needed but he did not want me to wear it for any extended period.
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:47 AM

I woke up from surgery with one on (I did have a vertical incision). I wore it every day for a few weeks but took it off at night to sleep. The doc never told me to wear it or not to wear it. I bought some tummy control panties to wear and they seem to help. I think it is a personal choice - if it helps, then wear it. My doc said at my 6 week post op appointment that it really served no purpose at that point. Hope your recovery is a speedy one!
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. My doc said its up to me if I want to wear it he felt some people like the security it provides. I have been wearing it late afternoon into the evenings when my body is feeling tired.
This site is wonderful for getting answers thanks again. Hugs
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:29 AM

My doc gave me one I haven't worn yet-- he wants me to have it when I go back to work.. or if I start walking more after the 2 week mark and feel I need it... he told me he wants me to take it easy first.. so I am doing that.. holding a pillow pressed to my abdomen instead while resting
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:02 AM

I woke up from surgery with one, but I had discussed it with my general surgeon prior to surgery. I had hernia repairs at the same time and both my docs agreed that I should wear it until 8 weeks post op full time, then I can take it off unless I'm doing something strenuous. And then when I return to work in October I'm to wear it full time while at work, I'm a waitress at a high volume store. So unless another less strenuous job comes along, I'll only have about 4 weeks of not constantly wearing it. While I do love the support its given me these last 5 weeks.

Oh and I also have a midline vertical incision, from sternum to groin.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register