Are you happy you had your hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you happy you had your hysterectomy? Are you happy you had your hysterectomy?

Unread 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Are you happy you had your hysterectomy?

Hi, all. I am not sure this is appropriate, but I hoped it wouldn't hurt to ask. Are you all happy with your decision to have a hysterectomy four years later?

I am scheduled for LAVH on October 26 to remove left ovary, uterus and cervix. I had an endometrial ablation Jan 2008 and by July 08 my left side began cramping every month to the point I end up vomiting some months from the pain. Toradol pills aren't controlling the pain and I ended up in the ER on thanksgiving with low potassium from being so sick. Other months the ob/gym needs to give me a Toradol shot to get ahead of the pain.

For these reasons I am ready for the hysterectomy but I am terrified of the long term consequences and frustrated by the circumstances. All the ultrasounds show healthy ovaries (even the left) and just a one inch fibroid on the left side that is partially calcified. It seems barbaric to take the uterus, cervix and left ovary over a partially calcified one inch fibroid, but I am at my breaking point with the monthly pain.

We have tried birth contol pills to no avail and I have a blood clotting disorder that makes the pill risky. I am tempted to keep trying the pill until the new year though. The doctor thinks that the ablation may have scarred the fibroid in such a way that it is just very aggravated, though we don't really know the reason for this pain. I am terrified of the long term consequences of the hysterectomy - no family history of breast, ovarian or cervical cancer but strong family history of osteoporosis and some heart disease. I am 43.

If you have any advice that you would care to share with me I would greatly appreciate it. I just need some perspective.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Re: Are you happy you had your hysterectomy?

I am sorry you are dealing with this. And I know this can be a tough decision. You need to make the right decision for you that considers your health - current and future. This is not a surgery to be taken lightly. Ask your doctor, and tell him or her of your concerns. You may also consider getting a second opinion on your condition.

I have read posts of some women on this site who have had a hysterectomy for endometriosis and are pleased they did it. But, again, you need to make the right decision for you.

Good luck.

Unread 10-09-2011, 07:08 PM

Hi Ucrummi,

I had my hyst (LSH) seven years ago now...due to two large fibroids. I am still pleased with my decision to have my hyst. I would do my hyst over again in a second...to have the quality of life that I have enjoyed since having my surgery.

Sending best wishes

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 07:26 PM

I'm not quite that far out yet . . . only 3.5 weeks since my LSH, but I am already VERY glad I did it and wish I could've had it done sooner!! I'm 37 and have been dealing with very painful, heavy, erratic periods for about 10 years. Found out earlier this year I had severe endometriosis and two uterine fibroids. They weren't the largest fibroids by far, in fact the largest one was just 4cm, but they were causing me so much distress that I knew having a hysto would be worth it. My GYN did cauterize the endo earlier this year but that only brought the worst of the pain down maybe a notch. Another doc had tried me on BCP in the past, to no avail.

I have since found out that four of my relatives had hystos before they turned 30, for the same reasons.

I hope this helps!! Best wishes with your decision making.
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:33 AM

It's been 4 months exactly since my surgery and every day I have been glad I got my surgery, even the moment I woke up. I was in more pain from the endometriosis than I was when I woke up from surgery, and even though recovery was tough, I just took it easy and kept a smile on my face about how much better my pain level was and about how what I was feeling from the recovery was nothing compared to what I dealt with every day.
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:09 AM

I too am 3 weeks out and I AM VERY HAPPY with my decision. I have been hurting for over 20 years and never knew why! To live a pain free life is amazing just to dream and now it is a reality of my own.

Seriously consider your decision. Once its done, it cannot be reversed. From seeing it with someone else, if you are having reservations DON'T DO IT!

Hope we are being helpful!
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:14 AM

This is a decision only you can make.

I know I had to have it done. My fibroids were growing at a very fast rate. I looked like I was 7-8 months pregnant within 2 1/2 months.

Honestly, I'm still having mixed emotions about having mine. I'm only what 9ish weeks out. I started back to work today also.

I mean, I'm glad I had it done, but the recovery is what's taking a toll on me. I thought since I was in great shape, did my research, etc, I was prepared. I wasn't. Even though I've had NO problems and am healing well, I'm just flat out freaking tired of feeling tired, sore, bloated, can't bend much, no lifting anything heavy & having to use baby weights for my workout. Blah !

I want my normal life back now. Its already been over 9 weeks and I'm so tired of this.

I'm still waiting to be VERY happy I had it done and I know, eventually, I will feel that way. It makes me mad to see some women post 2 weeks after theirs, they feel so great about having it done............................and I don't.

Sorry, I'm just being honest about how I feel.

I'm just frustrated and VERY impatient ATM.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register