Scheduled dVH/RALH Swelling belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelling belly Swelling belly

Unread 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Swelling belly

Hi- Everyone keeps talking about gettting bigger underwear and abdominal binders. I haven't really thought about the swelling. How bad is it? Do you really need a binder? How long does the swelling last? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Re: Swelling belly

It can really vary from person to person, but can get pretty big. I did not buy bigger underwear, but did buy loose fitting, comfy clothes. I lived for 12 weeks in sweats and old shorts, clothes with just elastic waist bands. I also did not buy a belly binder. Some women swear by them.

In addition, swelly belly will vary from day to day, and throughout the day. It might get worse in the evening, and when you push too hard.

I could not wear my normal jeans until about five months after surgery. Other clothing I slowly could wear after three months. It just depended on the day, etc. I remember having nice clothes for work 6 months post-op, and just counting the hours before I could get home and change to loose fitting clothes.

Hope that helps

Unread 10-01-2012, 08:12 PM

The worst of it for me was the first 3-4 days postop. Two weeks postop I'm still wearing loose fitting clothing (skirts and stretchy pants) and know my belly is a little bigger than it used to be. As noted by marestail, it can take quite awhile for it to disappear altogether.

I didn't buy a binder, but wear my spanx when I go out and will be upright for a prolonged period of time. Helps so much to keep myself pulled together! It helps with riding in the car, too, because it keeps things in place going over bumps.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2012, 05:11 AM

I had mine yesterday and today in the hospital I am fine in my regular undies with a panty liner, but I had laproscopic.
Unread 10-02-2012, 05:17 AM

I had my surgery 4 weeks ago today. I'm in my normal clothes but find anything with a tight waistband e.g jeans too uncomfortable to wear all day.
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:43 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, the swelling varies significantly by individual. I was worried about it after reading all the posts in the forum. I thought I was going to need big granny panties and bigger size dresses so I bought a few. Now I regret it.

I was able to wear my normal clothes and underwear right away, I have a little swelling, but it's minimal. I'm down 8-9 lbs post surgery which helps. My waist is down by an inch or two even with the swelling. Based on my last surgery, it probably took a good 6 months for things to really stabilize.

For this surgery, my uterus was over 900 grams and extended hip to hip, up and down, plus out. I was converted from DVH to TAh and they reopened my old vertical scar due to old adhesions. It makes me wonder if that's a reason why I don't have the same issues with swelling that other women have - with so much removed, maybe I'm just better able to accommodate swelling and still fit into my normal clothes. If that's the case, I better lose a few more inches off my waist in a few months when the swelling stops, lol. (just kidding)

I have a couple really cute dresses and a brand new unopened pack of underwear that I think will be going to Goodwill.

My doctor did not recommend a binder. However, I bought one anyway and just used it when I was walking for exercise. That really helped take the pressure off my abdominal muscles and lower back.

Might not hurt to buy something cheap and have it on hand so that you don't invest too much money in things you may / may not use.
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM

What causes the swelling?-Is it inflamed muscles, gas, water retention?
It seems strange that after removing uterous and sometimes large volume of fibroids that belly still swells.
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM

I am at 4 and a half weeks post op. I had a laproscopic done and could wear jeans for a little while a couple days after surgery. It was not the most comfortable thing in the world but I am not very comfortable leaving the house in sweats or jammie bottoms all the time. I didn't have much swelling or any spotting after, just some issues with the rubbing on the incisions.

You will be fine, just remember to do what you are comfortable with and don't worry too much about what everyone else thinks you look like. If you want to wear those comfy winnie the pooh jammies to the store, then do it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register