Scheduled TAH Worried about surgery and what to expect. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about surgery and what to expect. Worried about surgery and what to expect.

Unread 12-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Worried about surgery and what to expect.

I am having my surgery in just under two weeks, it has been scheduled now for almost 6 weeks. In the meantime, I have been scared and worried. I am 48 years old and only found out in the last few years that I even had fibroid tumors. I went in to my doctor because I thought I was in the pre-menopausal stage in my life and wanted to find out if I was. That was when I found out I had fibroids and polyps. Was told not to worry if they were not bothering me. Well, now three years later I am having surgery. I guess I would not have thought they were bothering me since the symptoms I have been having were there for as long as I can remember. It was not until I had my appendix out in October that I knew to what extent I had fibroids. It was seen on the CT scan for the appendicitis. My ob/gyn said that it measured about 18 cm, and that I would probably need a hysterectomy. I was in shock because that was not what I was expecting to hear. I didn't even want to think of it that day. I asked to speak with a surgeon just to explore my options. Because of the location and the size, there were not many choices. We could try embolization, but because of the size of the fibroid, it would more than likely find a different blood source and continue growing. We could try the lupron?, but it may only shrink them up to 40%, and I would still end up with an abdominal procedure. So, it was decided to just have it removed. No chance for laproscopic because of the size.

I am kinda scared at this point. The closer it gets, the more nervous I get. At this point it is such a necessity though. I have been thinking that for over a year I was having problems with acid reflux and found out that it was more than likely the fibroid getting stuck under my ribs and belly button. When it happens the pain is excruciating to where I cannot even walk.

I know there will be relief when its over, and hey I will probably eventually lose weight and inches afterward, but I am still scared. A 7 inch fibroid and a uterus the size of a 4 month pregnancy are being removed from my body. Thankfully, they are going to keep my ovaries if they look fine. I am also scared because I got told that they need to cross/type/ and match my blood in case of transfusion. I have a negative RH factors which makes it harder to get. My daughter says to not worry, that a hysterectomy is a common surgery and are done all the time. She just doesn't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Re: Worried about surgery and what to expect.

i am also having the same thoughts of worry as the time gets closer. I pre-op on Jan. 2 and Surgery for TVH on Jan 7. I hate being put to sleep and having surgery but so tired of the other issues.

Hang in there - we will get through this.
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:47 AM

The waiting and uncertainty are often the worse part and going through all the what-if's and maybe's. Try and keep busy, occupy your body and mind with preparing for those early post-op recovery days. Stock the freezer with meals, tidy the house and get an area ready for yourself with items you will need to hand. For so many of us ladies, this surgery opened the door to a new life. Focus on the moment you wake up in the recovery room, the joy and relief you will feel that the surgery is behind you and then focus on recovery. Hang on in there and see you on the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2013, 01:58 AM

My uterus was the size of a 7 month pregnancy, weighed 5 pounds, and the longest side measured 12 inches. I had a vertical incision, kept ovaries. I was very scared too, and had to tell myself what your daughter is telling you, that it is (unfortunately) a common procedure, lots of doctors do it all the time, and with my doc, that's all he does.
And now I'm thankful all the time that I did it.
Try to focus on preparing for your recovery at home, to take your mind away from your fears. Wish you the best and see you on the other side!
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:04 AM

Guess I am worried about the hospital stay too. When having my appendix out I ended up staying one extra day because of my white blood cell count being low. Now, my doctor wants me to take iron 3 x a day until surgery, and then my blood type being RH negative. Who will pick me up? When will I actually be released? My daughter doesn't drive, my sister doesn't drive. My mom says they would drive 2 hours away and come, but how do I know which day. Do they tell you the night before or that morning. Will I be in too much pain for a 2 hour drive right from the hospital, or longer. I need to go turn in paperwork at work before going out of town, all these things that need to get done because there is no one else to do them. I know I should not worry about those things, but it is constantly on my mind.

To be honest, I would really like to stay in the hospital as long as possible so that I am feeling as good as possible before going home. I still have no idea exactly what time my surgery is. Just told nothing but sips of water after 11 and no later than 5:30 and told at the time of scheduling surgery to be there at 6:30 so I am confused. I guess they will tell me exactly during my pre op phone call.
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:40 AM

Make sure you write down all your questions so that you can go through each and every query during your pre-op call. Also, make a note of the answers. Sounds daft, but sometimes after a while, you are so busy processing the answer to one question that you miss the next few. Asking and getting answers to your questions will help you feel more in control of the situation and remember, there is no such thing as a silly question.
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:58 AM

I never was told what time my surgery was scheduled for. All I knew was that I had to be at the hospital at 9:30 AM. I figured that after that, the docs and nurses were gonna do what they were gonna do - it wasn't up to me and I didn't concern myself with it.

My doc had told me before surgery that I'd be in 3-4 days. He came to see how I was the first and second day after surgery. By the second day, I was walking laps around the ward and sitting upright in an armchair reading when I wasn't walking. The doc told me he was off-duty the next day but that one of his colleagues would be in to see me and that I could choose whether to be discharged that day or stay one more night.

The city where I had surgery was two hours away by car or bus from the city where I live, so I'd asked a friend who lives in my surgery city if she would drive me home. She said okay and also came to visit me while I was in the hospital. When she came to visit the afternoon of the second day, I told her what my doc had said and that I felt pretty good, so I would probably be discharged the next day.

The third day after surgery, my doc's colleague showed up shortly before noon to see how I was doing. We agreed that I was ready to be discharged. (Also, since I live alone, she double-checked to make sure that I had someone I could call for help if necessary.) Shortly after, a nurse came in and removed my Foley catheter and IV line. My friend showed up about two, and then a nurse came in with my discharge paperwork. We were out of there by about three.

It's definitely *not* like, "You're discharged, you have five minutes to get out!" The hospital has their own paperwork and routines they need to go through. They need some lead time as much as you do.

I had a two-hour drive home, and that was fine. My friend brought a flat pillow for me to put between my belly - which at this point had 38 staples in it! - and the seat belt. Also, I'd taken a Gravol (Dramamine) for the trip because I get motion sick, and the Gravol has a sedative effect as well. (*Note*: If you're still on narcotics, check with your doc before taken Gravol or anything else that has sedative effects, as they tend to amplify each other.)

I felt fine when I got home but really tired. I thanked my friend profusely, hugged my cats, ate some yogurt and a whole wheat roll and then went to bed, slept for more than twelve hours.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register