Bicornal Bicorniate Double-horned uterus? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bicornal Bicorniate Double-horned uterus? Bicornal Bicorniate Double-horned uterus?

Unread 04-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Bicornal/Bicorniate/Double-horned uterus?

Greetings to all! I just found your website while doing a search for info on this surgery. I haven't found too much info on my type of uterus which seems to be bicornal or double-horned with a septum down the middle of the uterus. My problem is that I have HEAVY bleeding on the first 2 days of my period and much pain and cramping. I am so sick of dealing with both of those things! I am 44 years old (today's my birthday!) and have had this for several years. My GYN said that his usual recommended procedures of using the IUD or endometrial ablation are not good choices because of the shape of my uterus. <sigh> I also have had stress incontinence and am planning on possibly having a trans-vaginal tape bladder procedure in conjunction with a TVH. I just wondered if there are others out here in cyberspace who have a similar shaped uterus or who have had both the bladder tack and the TVH together? I am still trying to decide what to do. Thanks muchly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Bicornal Bicorniate Double-horned uterus?

Happy Birthday!!!! I had a TVH without the bladder repair, but I LOVE the fact I had the surgury.I do tire easier, but I am not having to deal with the blood and clots.Good luck and I'm sending prayers your way for a GREAT surgury!!!
Unread 04-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks Tammarree :)

It is always good to hear from someone who's had it done. I am seriously considering the 2 procedures together. I just have to decide what exactly and when.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2005, 10:45 AM

Hello and Happy Birthday,

I also have a bicornuate / bi-furcated uterus. I will be having a TAV due to fibroids which have made my uterus enlarge to 14 weeks. I have also had years of heavy bleeding and excruciating pain during my periods. I asked my OBGYN if having this type of uterus will affect the surgery and she really didn't give my a clear answer. I will be seeing a new OBGYN/Surgeon on May 2 for a second opinion. As far as I know, I don't need the bladder tack...but if you need both procedures done, I think I would want to do them both at the same time so you don't have to endure two separate recoveries. You're the first person that I've read about having this oddly shaped uterus. I was beginnning to think I was the only one. I've been wondering if this type of uterus generally causes more pain.

Good Luck with your decision and ask your doctor as many questions possible.
Unread 04-26-2005, 11:24 AM

hello-
Just wanted to say that after talking with another sister - Kia, who suspects she has a bicornal uterus... I realised that I very probably am the product of one. (poor Mum was nearly turned away from the hospital at 10 months - as they thought she was imagining being pregnant - but then an x-ray revealed me stuck up under her ribs)

Good luck with your surgery - I think getting two things done together is a wise move if your surgeone thinks it's possible.

Take care

Chicky
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:52 PM

Hello, Mjleave

Do you know how far down the dividing septum is in your uterus? I'm not sure about mine but my little sister had it also and had to have it at least partially removed in order to deal with infertility issues. I had no problems in that department. However, I have no idea of this shape/division thing causes more pain or problems. I will ask my GYN since I am seeing him YET AGAIN tomorrow for urodynamics testing. (Feel like I've been practically living in that office the past couple of months!) I have a fibroid in the muscle wall of my uterus that is apparently less than 2 inches big but my GYN thinks it might be causing the major bleeding and pain that I have each month. It isn't easily removed at all since it's deep inside the wall. <sigh> Also, I don't know if you were told this but I was told that hysterectomy or some form of vaginal hormone ring (which he also said may or may not help) are the only treatments because the odd shape is NOT good for IUD's or ablation. So, since I am done using it, I am leaning towards having the TVH along with my possible bladder tack at the same time. I am tired of having urinary stress incontinence the most--it makes me feel like an old lady. I just need to finish up all the testing and decide exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks for your reply!
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:55 PM

Bikery-Chicky,
That is so interesting to hear that your mom probably had this, too. She must've hid you well in the back section. My GYN specializes in urogynecology so it would definitely be a plus to have them both done at the same time. The 'uro' part is the main reason I switched to him as my main GYN after all. If I do one, I definitely want to do the other at the same time. I wonder what that means in the way of recovery? Guess I'll have to go back to the archives here and see if others have done this, too. Thanks so much for responding to my post!
Unread 04-27-2005, 02:12 PM

Hello OrahDeb,

I hope your appointment went well.

I am really not sure how far down the divided septum is in my uterus. I do know that my doctor told me that I have no trouble with fertility, but my problem is carrying a child to full term. I have one child and he was 3 months premature due to the shape of my uterus. I was lucky to carry him as long as I did. My Doc at time said my uterus was shaped sort of like a "broken heart". That meant that the baby did not have a "whole" uterus to grow in so he was only growing in one half of my uterus, and that one half could stretch only so far before the baby had to come out.

That is interesting to know about not being able to do the Uterine Artery Embolization on this type of uterus. (Is that the same as Ablation?) I see a new doctor on Monday for a second opinion and that was one of the questions on my list. I'll still ask to see what his opinion is on that. I want the least invasive approach possible. I have 3 fibroids that are larger than golf balls but I don't know how far into the uterine wall they are. My last doctor was very skimpy on giving me detailed information. She was just so ready to "dig in" and do the surgery. She even wanted to take both my ovaries even though they are both very healthy. I'm 40 and not quite ready for menapause yet. So that is why I'm getting another opinion.

Your lucky to have a Uro-gynecologist to take care of both of your problems. My advice is to research, research, research. Get as much information as you can ...this is a great site to find out from other women what their experiences were. Good luck with everything!
Unread 04-27-2005, 05:18 PM

The appointment was for the urodynamics test this morning and boy, that is no fun! I HATE the catheter--it hurt going in and it hurt urinating with it and it hurt coming out. Bleck. Still, it showed plenty to my Uro-GYN. It was kind of funny because I was the first patient on their brand new machine and they were all excited to be using it. The tech guy just enthused on and on about it and I just had to laugh. It was very much like the hysteroscopy where my GYN and his nurse were all excited about seeing my double fundus uterus. I just told them that it is nice to see people who enjoy their jobs and that I'd rather have someone taking care of me who likes what they are doing. The uterine artery embolization is NOT the same thing as endometrial ablation. Ablation is where they go in and burn off the lining of your uterus (endometrium) permanently. About 60% of women who have it done stop having periods all together and the others usually have much lighter periods. It can take care of heavy bleeding and cramps since it gets rid of most of your endometrium. What is the uterine artery embolization supposed to do? It sounds like it would kill off your uterus but it can't be that, can it? So, I have to keep a journal of my 'quality of life' issues and go back week after next with what I have and to get the final results of the testing. They are getting to know me so well down there!
Unread 04-27-2005, 06:34 PM

I am also having TVH with bladder repair done. I go for my urodynamics test on May 11. Really sorry to hear that it was so uncomfortable. Not looking forward to it myself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register