4+ months post hysterectomy: persistent UTIs - Any advice on what to do would be great | Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4+ months post hysterectomy: persistent UTIs - Any advice on what to do would be great 4+ months post hysterectomy: persistent UTIs - Any advice on what to do would be great

Unread 06-18-2017, 05:24 PM
4+ months post hysterectomy: persistent UTIs - Any advice on what to do would be great

I had hysterectomy on February 8th , I've had 4 utis since then. So frustrating been to Dr 4 2xs and they keep giving me a low grade antibiotic after I have sex to prevent the utis, however I keep getting them about a month afterwards. Someone told me it takes a good 6 months before you feel like yourself from healing. Any advice on what to do would be great, I am drinking lots of water, cranberry juice and going to the bathroom before sex and after. I was informed to see a urologist but I'm thinking something is array here. I had a total vaginal hysterectomy took uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes, kept ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Re: 4+ months post hysterectomy: persistent UTIs - Any advice on what to do would be great

Hi sgoodie,

I am so sorry you are having frequent UTI's. I know how awful that is. Do you still have your ovaries? You might be suffering from atrophy which can affect the bladder and the health of your vagina.

UTI Risks for Women

Do this Not That Preventing UTI's

When do you see the urologist? It is also possible you have developed Interstital Cystitis.

Interstitial Cystitis

In the meantime, try using probiotics to help keep your good flora while taking so many antibiotics.
Unread 06-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Re: 4+ months post hysterectomy: persistent UTIs - Any advice on what to do would be great

ask your dr about using vaginal estrogen...it has many benefits!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2017, 07:06 AM

Yes I did keep my ovaries, but been having alot of UTI's, it seems to happen right after sex so not sure what is going on. I also have been getting a racing heartbeat, very tired, and one of my ovaries hurts each month. Not sure I'm going through menopausal symptoms or not . It's frustrating because the drs. don't tell you that this could happen down the road and what to look for . It seems they just want to do the surgery and be done with you. I'm making an appt at urologist haven't yet, been trying to do my own prevention but that's not working. I will try the probiotics as I haven't tried that one yet! I think you are on to something with that! Thankyou for the advice- will ask about estrogen creme as well...
Unread 06-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Just so you know, UTI's, bladder pain, racing heart, dry vaginal tissue etc can all be menopausal symptoms or perimenopause. Do talk to your gyn when you have a chance about all of your symptoms and yes, vaginal estrogen helps a lot!

In the meantime, try some OTC vaginal moisturizers like Replens.
Unread 06-22-2017, 07:25 PM
4+ months post hysterectomy: persistent UTIs - Any advice on what to do would be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly50 View Post
Just so you know, UTI's, bladder pain, racing heart, dry vaginal tissue etc can all be menopausal symptoms or perimenopause. Do talk to your gyn when you have a chance about all of your symptoms and yes, vaginal estrogen helps a lot!

In the meantime, try some OTC vaginal moisturizers like Replens.
I definently will! Thankyou for advice. I just had a blood test for hormones and was told normal. What do they know , apparently nothing lol

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register