Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 12-Jun 18,2017 - Page 12 | Hysterectomy Recovery Reports | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 12-Jun 18,2017 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 12-Jun 18,2017

Unread 06-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 12-Jun 18,2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annewae View Post
I feel less energetic today as well. Could be too much excitement from visitors yesterday. I took two short naps, one in the morning and one in the early evening. I hope I won't have trouble sleeping tonight!

I'm still getting awful gas pains but I'm thankful that my diarrhoea has stopped.

How much activity should we be doing? I worry about DVT if I am too sedentary and yet I don't want to jeopardise my healing. I can't sit up comfortably for longer than 20 mins on my dining chair and my sofa doesn't give me enough support. My apartment is small, so I don't get to walk very much either.

Hope all of you had a peaceful and pain-free weekend!
I am having the same trouble with sitting up. I could either lay in my bed at an angle or stand. Sitting is about 20 minutes and I start to feel very anxious.
Hi I've had good stool for the last 3 days and woke up this morning to diarrhea I hope it doesn't last long apparently there is this virus you can get from surgery so if it's still here and Wednesday I have to go get blood work yay! Feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHinWA View Post
Ta,
I am sorry to hear that you still have headache issues.
Keep up your fluid intake and let your doctor know tomorrow that you are still running a fever and the meds are not working for you. I ran a low grade fever and did end up with a hidden infection in one of my incisions.
I called my doctor and he said I shouldn't be running a temperature anymore, but that he doesn't want to make a big deal out of nothing just yet. I ordered a new thermometer scheduled to arrive tomorrow... but I can feel when it spikes to 100.9. He asked if I had any pain, and I only have bruising-type pain on my right side. Did you have pain in when your incision was infected?

He said to give it a little more time and he will send me for a CT scan if it doesn't clear up.
Unread 06-19-2017, 03:44 PM

You were so right, thank you for the tip! I felt much better last night after taking the oxy. The only problem is I fell alseep early, woke up then had a hard time going back to bed. I'm planning on taking on late tonight to see if it'll help me sleep all night. I just hate the groggy feeling though, sigh, but I guess I'll take all the victories big or small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vjodway View Post
Hi, Bennett-S,
I, too had been experiencing way more bloating pain than surgery pain. I was only taking ibuprofen, & no oxy. I called a good friend who is the head RN at an urgent care and she suggested I consider the possibility that I needed the oxy even though I didn't think I did. I'm so glad I listened to her! The oxy has made night and day difference. I hate narcotics and am usually too "tough" to take any kind of pain mess even for a headache, but I have to remind myself that it's ok to give myself what my body needs to recovery properly, and it cannot recover properly if I do not control the pain. There's only pride involved in being "tough".
I'm so sorry that you're not feeling supported by your family, but I'm glad you're getting some support here. I feel very similar that no one else can possibly understand what we're going through. Hang in there! Prayers for your recovery!
-VJodway
Unread 06-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 12-Jun 18,2017

Pwilsondagan and Kikiv

to your surgery week Recovery Thread.
We are glad you were able to find us.
Please feel free to follow the thread to find topics that have already been covered.

Congratulations to Hoagie, , Kikiv, and Flnangl on your BM's.
Oh what a relief.
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
I will check in again when I get home.

DH
Unread 06-19-2017, 04:39 PM

Hi I am new here! I had my hysterectomy on June 14. I am feeling really good. So I am almost scared because I am feeling so good LOL! But I do have a few concerns. So my dr kept my cervix. My uterus measured 16 cm when he removed it. Has anyone ever experienced this? The large uterus? And I am scared to death of gaining weight! SO many questions and uneasy feelings!!
Unread 06-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Smile - Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 12-Jun 18,2017 Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 12-Jun 18,2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2929 View Post
I still have gases moving around my body too... sometimes it's so prominent that it feels like i have a few people moving around in there.

I hope you were able to get a good night's rest!
Yes, the gas movements made me feel a little sad because strangely, it reminded me of baby movements. Plus, I'm wearing some of my old maternity clothes since I can't fit into my regular clothes yet...so it's inevitable for my brain to make that association!

I did have a 6-hour uninterrupted sleep which is good by my standards since I'm an occasional insomniac. I must have run up quite a huge sleep debt in the days leading up to surgery!

How's your temperature? I was running a low grade fever 2 days after the operation and my dr prescribed antibiotics in case it's an infection. Hope you are feeling better!

@jafo268: I had very bad diarrhoea and we thought it may have been a side effect of the antibiotics. I had my antibiotics changed, took charcoal pills and probiotics and that seems to have settled the runs. Hope yours settle down soon!

Btw, I'm in the GMT+8 time zone, so I'm awake whilst most of you are asleep and vice versa! So do bear with me if it gets a bit confusing or if I take longer than usual to reply to questions.

Hope everyone has a good and restful sleep as that's the time when lots of healing takes place. Sweet dreams!
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2929 View Post
You're absolutely right. I was getting frustrated yesterday because I felt better on day 4 and then went back down... but I woke up this morning ready to be patient with myself. I feel like I read that others are so much more active than I am at this point, but had to remind myself that everyone heals at their own pace. I also have 5 incisions, but the one on my right hip hurts constantly. It's like a giant internal and external bruise in that area. The other side don't hurt like that one.

Oh and I'm also stuck downstairs on a recliner. My doctor said I am not allowed to go up the stairs for 2 weeks! Hopefully my fever goes away like yours did.
I too am feeling like things are getting harder, not easier. I think I may have overdone it a few days ago with walking. Now I feel nauseated every time I'm out of bed for longer than 10 minutes. Hoping the last few days in bed will help me start feeling better soon.
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyannie13 View Post
Hi I am new here! I had my hysterectomy on June 14. I am feeling really good. So I am almost scared because I am feeling so good LOL! But I do have a few concerns. So my dr kept my cervix. My uterus measured 16 cm when he removed it. Has anyone ever experienced this? The large uterus? And I am scared to death of gaining weight! SO many questions and uneasy feelings!!
Hi. I had mine with davinci robotic on 6/13. Kept cervix and overies. My uterus was 18.5 prior to surgery but dr told husband after that it was bigger than he thought and there was another separate fibroid on pelvic floor. I'm doing pretty good and am scared about this. I'm waking up on stomach and can lay on back in no pain which is something new to me.

Biggest issue I have is bowels aren't regulated yet. They feel klunky when I eat and foods are out within an hour or so after eating. I feel great otherwise. I'm a little nervous about blood clots and also that the big uterus did damage to rectum or colon or stomach but I think everything just needs to find a place now that the uterus is gone.

I'm also a little apprehensive about getting pathology reports back. im going to call dr office tomorrow and ask if they are back yet instead of waiting till first appointment on the 26.

I think weight gain should be least thing on mind . Dr said that I'm going to be a thin woman after all he took out but perhaps he was just trying to say something positive. I did think it odd that I was not fat except for belly and it really frustrated me that my family practioner who I saw for yearly check ups and gyn checks had been telling me I was fine and all my symptoms were just part of getting older. Perhaps I just think I'm better because I feel so much better than I've felt for years carrying around a bunch of fibroids, anemic, swelling ankles no energy to even get laundry done sometimes prior to surgery but I'm absolutely shocked how much better I feel now and how much energy I have.

My surgeon said he's done bigger uterus's with excellent results 100% so I'm trusting him. He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

I'm returning to work tomorrow. I felt fine today and so I may as well be at work instead of using vacation time to sit around here. If I feel badly I'll leave. I drove daughter to airport today. My dr told me zero restrictions post op and do whatever I feel like as long as I listen to my body.

I'm thinking these bigger uterus' are more common than we know and the good surgeons are willing to tackle them. First surgeon I saw would not touch me unless I tried lupron for 6 months. The guy I ended up with said no way to lupron. I'm so happy for you and hope the best for everyone's recovery!

One more thing- I've been a little emotional but I think my muted state of life I had with the big uterus is gone. Today when I dropped daughter off at airport I cried all the way home. Last year I didn't cry for college graduation, no tears when she left for study abroad year. I just didn't have the emotional capacity because I was so tired. I was agitated and sad when I was on the pain pills but after I got off them and anesthesia out of system I felt a whole lot better.

it's nice to feel emotional again for happy things and sad.hope I feel the same in a few weeks about that!
Unread 06-19-2017, 10:50 PM

Hello ladies,
Let's
Ashleyannie13
to your surgery week Recovery Thread.
We are so glad you found us. Please feel free to share your story, questions or concerns. Take the opportunity to scroll back through the thread to catch the topics that have been covered.

Jafo,
How did your suture removal go?
I did not catch your post early enough to recommend taking your pain medication about 20-30 minutes before your appointment which I would recommend for everyone's first post op check up.
Just the ride into the doctor's office can cause enough vibration to make the "swelly belly" appear.
The only time I spotted was the evening of my first post op appointment.
My doctor did not do a pelvic exam until my 5 week check up.

Ta,
My most obvious sign of infection was increasing blood sugars. I ran low grade fever while I was on narcotics, but by the time I was just using acetaminophen, it seemed to mask my temperature. I did not really have incisional pain, just a bruised feeling. By the time the infected incision started draining, which was after I started antibiotics, it was more tender. I am on an insulin pump and had increased my basal rate to 64x my usual rate. That was the piece of information that the doctor paid attention to. I was put on two very strong antibiotics that required me to take Benadryl with each dose (4x daily) due to my allergies. That kept me very sleepy. I was also nauseous and took Zofran just to get the meds down. There were not a lot of options for antibiotic choices due to my allergies. Needless to say, it did slow down my recovery.

Annewae,
You should try to get up and move around for 10-15 minutes every 1-2 hours while awake during the first week. Gradually increase your activity as tolerated.
You may want to check out the threads for:
Australia/New Zealand or
Asia/Africa

Here are some links to articles that may be of interest.

Fighting Fatigue after Hysterectomy
5 Ways to Speed Up Sluggish Bowels after Hysterectomy
Does Anesthesia Cause Sluggish Bowels after a Hysterectomy?
How Long Does Anesthesia Stay in the Body
15 Hot Topics for Hysterectomy Recovery - Part 1
Body Mechanics during Hysterectomy Recovery
Work during Hysterectomy Recovery
Prevent Dehydration During Hysterectomy Recovery
Symptoms of Dehydration
Too Much Too Soon After Hysterectomy?
First Week Tips After Hysterectomy
Hysterectomy Recovery No No's (What Not to Do)
HysterSisters Video Post-Op Weeks 1-2
Housekeeping Tips After Hysterectomy
Fever after Hysterectomy

Especially for Littlelulu,
Returning to Work After Hysterectomy
Bring a small travel pillow to work.
Put your feet up as often as you can.
If you sit for your job, get up and move every hour.
If you are on your feet, take a sitting break several times a day.

To all HysterSisters,
Please remember that you have had major surgery. It is your first and primary responsibility to put yourself first for awhile.
Let yourself recover.
Get help if you need it.
It is time to count the dust bunnies as your friends, proof that you are setting priorities
to take care of yourself and heal.

Mellisabeth,
As the toxins and effects from the anesthesia leave your body you may feel more aches and pains. It took me about 3-4 weeks before I felt like my brain could process math equations again, but one of the drugs used for my anesthesia had soy oil as it's base, which I am allergic to.
You are also in the proliferative phase of healing, where new tissue is being formed and nerves are waking up and trying to knit back together.

To each and all,
Walk , drink and rest often

My and prayers for each of you that you may continue to heal smoothly.
DH
Unread 06-20-2017, 07:54 AM

Staples did not hurt at all, I agree the drive was a little rough. Of course this time of year in ohio there is no driving without construction and tore up roads.
I have been feeling a little anxious (which I have some of that when feeling good) I did talk to my Dr. and started estrogen yesterday.

I know it is not a race but some of you are recoving so fast, and I am having a hard time with not. Trust me I am not the person to sit still, but I have been listing to my body and I sit (laydown- sitting still not conforitable yet) when I am tired. But kudos to those of you that are out and back to work I have to say I am jealous and strive to be you soon. Those of us that aren't we're almost there halfway or at least that is what I tell my self after looking at last 7 days and how far we have come in that short time.

DH hope husband us doing better.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU, I can't tell you how much you have helped me with your progress and posts.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register