Endometrial Biopsy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Biopsy Endometrial Biopsy

Unread 11-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Endometrial Biopsy

My Drs office just called and my insurance company wants me to have an endometrial biopsy and an ultrasound before they will pre-certify my surgery. Can anyone give me information about what this will entail? The nurse said it was an in-office procedure and shouldn't take long. I've been afraid to make the decision to go ahead with the surgery and now this. I have had heavy/clotting bleeding for several years, have tried birth control pills and Depo Provera with temporary results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Endometrial Biopsy

I had an endometrial biopsy -- it's how they determined I had hyperplasia.

I would say it's basically like a "high-powered" pap smear. They actually go into your uterus and scrape a little bit of lining off. I don't think they actually dilate you, though.

It's not fun, but it honestly wasn't very painful, either. It was enough so I had to do some deep breathing while it was happening. I spotted afterwards and then my period ended up starting a couple of days early, but that was all.
Unread 11-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Endometrial Biopsy

Hi,

I've had two endometrial biopsies. They're not that bad, really. The doctor will dilate your cervix, then insert the instrument which will pinch off a small piece of tissue. You will feel a pinching, cramping sensation for a few minutes, which may be very uncomfortable. Just breath slowly and deeply and try to concentrate on something else during that time. You may also have some mild cramping and spotting for a couple of days, which Motrin will usually help.

It may help to take Motrin before you go, and you may also want to have someone with you to drive you home, though after both the procedures I had, I was able to drive myself. I had the second biopsy on during my lunch break, then drove back to work and finished out the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Endometrial Biopsy

I had 2 endometrial biopsies - 1st 1 was just uncomfortable, but like mjd & shashi described/some pinching, cramping - the breathing helps a lot & it is over quickly. Some spotting & cramping for a day afterwards, but felt fine. It was like mega-pap.
My 2nd time was more uncomfortable, but I had already been bleeding for most of the month & feeling lousy to start, so I assume that's why.
I drove myself both times, but wished I'd had someone w/me the 2nd time.
Unread 11-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Endometrial Biopsy

I just went through the same thing, although my insurance company didn't require it. The endometrial biopsy was done in the office - similar to a Pap but slightly more uncomfortable (but not painful for me). I have been bleeding for a while so I cannot say if the procedure causes you to bleed - my bleeding was certainly not any heavier after having it done.

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I noticed that your surgery is scheduled for 12/7 - I am scheduled for 12/14. I have asked many friends about their hysterectomies, and all of them have told me how much better I will feel when I am healed, so I am thinking positively. Good luck!
Unread 11-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Endometrial Biopsy

I had one about 6 weeks ago, and had been bleeding for about 21 months straight when I had it so I was pretty sore. She gave me something for the anxiety (believe it was called Serax) and some Vicodin BEFORE the surgery which helped. With me, they didn't scrape or cut -- it was suction. And when it started, it was like one big cramp. It hurt, but it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. Have them give you something beforehand for the anxiety and discomfort and you'll be fine. I'm a HUGE wimp with this stuff and came through okay
Unread 11-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Endometrial Biopsy

Its done with a straw like instrument, that is pretty slender. The use suction to get a sample of the endometrial tissue by passing the straw thing through the cervix. They don't dilate it, it fits through without that.

I had it done before my hyst, and it was pretty easy. She warned me that I might feel some cramping, but I did not feel anything. I did spot a bit for a day, but that was all.
Unread 11-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Endometrial Biopsy

Thank you so much for the replies and encouragement. I just got a call from the Drs office saying that I had to have the biopsy with no explanation. Now I have an idea of what to expect which helps a lot.
Unread 11-12-2004, 08:40 AM
My experience

First I wish you luck on your journey and will include you in my prayers. I had unusual bleeding after I thought I had started menopause so the doctor suggested an untrasound. This is a painless procedure, similar to what you have seen on TV for expectant mothers. The difference being in my case that they had to insert a rod internally, painless procedure. Looks exactly like a sex toy if that helps? Not to assume that we have all seen them. The ultrasound showed something so I had to have an endometrial biopsy. The doctor advised me that there would be some cramping. Wrong! It was actually a bit painful and I had wished I hadn't gone alone. The ride home was very difficult. I do not tell you this to scare you but just because I was not prepared for what I went through. It was very crampy after the initial pain and I bleed for a few hours. Have someone go with you so they can drive you home if possible. I would have subjected myself to any test they had to offer because I prefer knowing what I am getting to. Again good luck and I pray it is nothing serious.
Unread 11-12-2004, 09:58 AM
endometrial biopsy

Hi! Just a little insight into the biopsy. I've had 3 over the past 4 years. They take a sample using a prong device. I won't kid you, it does hurt for a little while. If you work, you would be better off taking the day off. I had severe cramps and some bleeding afterward.

Hope this helps. Don't mean to scare you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register